Register Now
StaceyPowers

If a game fails to meet your subjective expectations, do you hold it against the creators?

It depends on how far I actually went into it. If I went far into the game, then it's on me. It had my attention and interest in the beginning. If it is in a genre that I'm a huge fan of, like fantasy, and the game just sucked in my opinion then it's still on me. Witcher 3 is like that. I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean the developers are to blame for my personal taste.

I have to agree with @The Blackangel. Just like how I don't necessarily like Final Fantasy IX, that doesn't mean it's a bad game necessarily. Creators for the most part, are usually honest about what a game entails. If the game is close to what they described pre-release and I still didn't like it, then that's on me. In the case of games like Anthem where EA consistently lied about most things, I'd blame them.

That's hard to say. If the expectations were high with all the advertising, then the creators are gonna get lots of blame even if they weren't the ones advertising it. High expectations muddy the waters. If it is a message the game did a poor job of getting across, then that should fall on the creators. But if it's a message open for debate, then one side or another is gonna blame the creators if they don't agree. Even the mechanics and design may suit some, but not others. If they are gaining success when you don't like something, then you may be a minority in the fan base. But the creators ultimately hold the responsibility even if assholes rush them. Unless there is something obviously awful in the game, then blame should not be completely placed on the creators. That doesn't give them a free pass though. You better make a great game damnit or I'm coming after you!!! Aghhhh. I'll get you my cretins! 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:30 PM, StaceyPowers said:

If you personally don’t like how a game unfolds, do you feel the game is bad, or just not to your taste?

Well, there are definitely some situations where my own expectations are too high and on that note, the developers are not at fault here.