Register Now
StaceyPowers

What purposes can games serve?

For some they give a person's life meaning. People like myself for example. I can't play any sports. I can't go for a walk. I can't wrestle with my dog. I am stuck in a god damn chair. The most value I have is to eat, sleep, and shit. Games give me something I actually can do, and sometimes something I can succeed at. They occupy my mind, eyes, ears, and hands. If I don't have something that occupies all 4 of those I get extremely antsy, which tends to lead to panic attacks. All because there's nothing much else that I can do. If it wasn't for games, I most likely would have shot myself by now since my diagnosis.

Games are a life saver.

Games are a form of escapism, to get your mind off daily grind, to be something else or someone else.

A game where the goal is to be art, or political statement is much like a car that's purpose is not to be driven.  There is room for conceptual, and art pieces, as long as the escapism goal is met by other games.

Educational games are another category entirely, when we talk about games we usually don't refer to games designed with that purpose.

Entertainment is just the purpose that everything thinks that gaming is made for, but in fact, Gaming can serve lot of things, education for example, i personally learned English from gaming and got lot of cultures and how people think in my mind thanks to gaming as well, then comes other purposes such as relaxing and getting rid of stress (which is deadly btw)

My gaming experience has been pretty therapeutic. I hardly watch tv anymore now. Remember when it was a nice peaceful experience to get comfortable and watch a movie? That used to be the thing. But now I can keep living in an experience that I can make it last as long as I want. The movie ends in 2 hours, but the game can be played for hundreds of hours. There are quite a few games I never want to end. At least if the story ends, I still have the environment to keep exploring and interacting with. The games I play just leaves me very very very impressed. And for the first time I am even considering looking up soundtracks. Would I have appreciated this so much as I do now if I played games my whole life? Who knows. Maybe more so, maybe not. It was the right time for me when I got into gaming. My mind was restless. Ash and embers were twirling around all over the place from the world I burned down. And in that smoke, I found some brilliant games that in a way helped ease the burden of facing the harsh realities. But it's more than that. Or maybe it's simple. Or maybe is a combination of something complex and simple. Why are any of us so passionately drawn to gaming? I think anyone out there can also be if they played the right game and let go over their arrogant childish pride. Yes, you are a child if you think you are too good to play a video game. Part of being an adult is to be mature enough to not care what others think. Pride is a child's ego. Pride is dangerous. Pride creates unhappiness. Games can help families bond. And that's why I mentioned pride, because a parent should let go, and play games with their kids or significant other. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

My gaming experience has been pretty therapeutic. I hardly watch tv anymore now. Remember when it was a nice peaceful experience to get comfortable and watch a movie? That used to be the thing. But now I can keep living in an experience that I can make it last as long as I want. The movie ends in 2 hours, but the game can be played for hundreds of hours. There are quite a few games I never want to end. At least if the story ends, I still have the environment to keep exploring and interacting with. The games I play just leaves me very very very impressed. And for the first time I am even considering looking up soundtracks. Would I have appreciated this so much as I do now if I played games my whole life? Who knows. Maybe more so, maybe not. It was the right time for me when I got into gaming. My mind was restless. Ash and embers were twirling around all over the place from the world I burned down. And in that smoke, I found some brilliant games that in a way helped ease the burden of facing the harsh realities. But it's more than that. Or maybe it's simple. Or maybe is a combination of something complex and simple. Why are any of us so passionately drawn to gaming? I think anyone out there can also be if they played the right game and let go over their arrogant childish pride. Yes, you are a child if you think you are too good to play a video game. Part of being an adult is to be mature enough to not care what others think. Pride is a child's ego. Pride is dangerous. Pride creates unhappiness. Games can help families bond. And that's why I mentioned pride, because a parent should let go, and play games with their kids or significant other. 

Brilliant post mate and I agree, you like what you like. Don't let others dictate what your preferences are - On another note, I love playing modded Skyrim because you can use different combinations of mods in each playthrough to create a completely unique experience every time.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Brilliant post mate and I agree, you like what you like. Don't let others dictate what your preferences are - On another note, I love playing modded Skyrim because you can use different combinations of mods in each playthrough to create a completely unique experience every time.

That sounds pretty cool to be able to mod. I'd have a blast with it, but I don't have a gaming computer. I've seen some character mods for that game and looks pretty good. 

26 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That sounds pretty cool to be able to mod. I'd have a blast with it, but I don't have a gaming computer. I've seen some character mods for that game and looks pretty good. 

It takes a bit of learning but once you learn how to do it, you'll be hooked. Honestly, it takes hours for me to design a character because of how many great ideas I have in my head.

Life is painful and extremely hard. Games have power to make you forget the past. It can repair and create new memories that can rewrite your existing issues. So games are pretty much like therapy for some and also can be used in many ways to improve the life. 

All games that are around are for and made for entertainment even if they are educated to learning your nuts off. Yet when a game is not a game but a simulator. That's right Simulator is not a game, in fact, it means what it means. I do a lot of realism flights sims, P3D for example that you fly different flights and aircraft and P3D is not made for entertainment, it's built and made by Lockheed Martin and their sims are for training real-life pilots. Not for people to play as a game but they really focus on them learning to fly.

Same with schools, I have seen games that aren't games but the software on maths and English and whatnot. Hell, I did a Keyboard typing game, learn how to type on the keyboard and able to write in a set time frame.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:31 PM, StaceyPowers said:

A lot of people say games are for entertainment. But I think they can serve many purposes: art, education, political statement, etc. What do you think?

Personally, I believe that it's rigged with entertainment to begin with before any other kind of added work it may be able to do like education.