Register Now
Patrik

Alternative Endings, good or hell no

For me, it's a very big no, especially if the game's maker plans to make a sequel for the game and tries to put there an important character or two (let's say Roman Bellic from GTA 4 appearing in GTA 6 for example, that would make no sense because in an alternative ending, Roman dies).

what do you think about this?

If it's just a different ending sequence but led to the same conclusion, then I don't have a problem with it. In all honesty, I really don't give a shit either way. I go through a game, and that's pretty much it. If I unlock an alternate ending, then so be it. At this moment, I can't say that I remember ever unlocking one, or ever intentionally trying for one. If I have, that's fine. If I haven't, that's fine too. Going after an alternate ending defeats the purpose of playing a game anyway. You're not playing the game to enjoy it, you're playing it for the ending it shows. If that's all you're after is a different ending credits, then watch it on YouTube instead of wasting your money on the damn game.

There are some things in gaming, that I just have never given the slightest bit of a shit about. Alternate endings is one.

Edited by The Blackangel

Hell yes, games should not be sequel bait in the first place, they should tell a self contained story. Differences in the conclusion is what gives meaning to player choice. If all roads lead to rome, then what's the point of having player choice in the first place?

And no, Roman, I'll not go drinking or bowling with you.

I tend to like alternative endings because I like to see actual consequences to the choices I made in-game but what's the point if they all converge on the same path? I mean, if the sequel doesn't reflect your choices in the first game, what's the point of  having alternative endings?

Multiple endings as an idea are fine. The problem is always the execution. Either the endings aren't different enough, one ending is clearly meant to be the canon ending while the other is an afterthought, or the deciding factor for the ending forces severely binary good or evil decisions throughout gameplay, even when they make no sense.

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If it's just a different ending sequence but led to the same conclusion

well, i wouldn't mind that as well, but when having different conclusions, you stay confused about how the game really ended...

Multiple endings as an idea are fine. However, as a gamer myself, I am very curious. If I picked one option, I always look back and think what would of happened if I choose the other and vise versa. Nonetheless, I love video games that give gamers the chance to use their initiative.

On 3/31/2021 at 6:06 PM, Patrik said:

For me, it's a very big no, especially if the game's maker plans to make a sequel for the game and tries to put there an important character or two (let's say Roman Bellic from GTA 4 appearing in GTA 6 for example, that would make no sense because in an alternative ending, Roman dies).

what do you think about this?

Personally, I don't really know if it's something that I should be bothered about, for as long as the ending makes sense, why not?