Register Now
Shagger

The AYA NEO. The First Realistic Attempt at a Handheld Gaming PC

There has been attempts at similar things before, but none them really caught on. The tended to be underperforming, impractical, expensive or a combination of those things. This new system looks like something different...

zpjbz4yglgn9jzdoqcln.jpeg.38e82fd7681f03105b53d5443d59c0e6.jpeg

What you're looking at is, believe it or not, a Windows gaming PC. 16gb of hyper fast ram, a beastly Ryzen 5 4500U APU, an integrated XB1 style controller and a choice 512GB or 1TB SSD storage. All built into a device no bigger than a Nintendo Switch. Full specs:

rfczhcxftjpotxtukccj.png.957c6445948d23aacd5d23b21aa3f039.png

The big difference between AYA NEO and the Switch is the AYA NEO can run games the Switch can't. It'll take lowering the settings for some modern games of course, but games like COD Cold War, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus will run on this thing, and that's impressive. It does borrow one clever ides from the Switch by enabling TV out via USB-C. It even has a dock available. My favourite thing though is the price. At the the equivalent of £692 for the 1TB model with the dock and few other goodies it's honestly not much more expensive than the equivalent hand built desktop.

A couple of of concerns. It doesn't look as ergonomic as the Switch and, as with any 1st generation device, durability and build quality have to be a concern. Another disappointing thing is that the triggers are not analogue, and could be an issue for certain types of games, especially racing games. The battery doesn't look it it will last all that long unplugged either. 

I am honestly impressed with this. I'm even considering getting one. The Indiegogo has only a couple of days left, so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. 

This is probably the best possible for gaming handhelds till now, bit the only issue with them is that they are still having their back hold by the vega integrated GPU (which is performing on the GT 1030's level), for the price, you can get a better performing gaming laptop, but if you are enthusiast, then go for it, it looks cool to own

I've seen some benchmarks and reviews and it's pretty impressive.  Running most modern AAA titles at it's native 800 x 1280 resolution on low to medium settings at about 40 - 60fps.  Not to mention it has USB Type-C 3.2 ports so you can hook up an external GPU caddy, which is a great alternative to having a separate gaming PC.

Personally, I have been following the development of this machine for the last couple of months and I think it's fantastic. The only cons I really see is the touch interface seeming kind of clunky and the price is very steep. However, if the price falls by a bit, I'd go get myself one right now. Did I mention it is the first Ryzen-based handheld device?

On 4/3/2021 at 8:36 PM, killamch89 said:

and the price is very steep

this one compared to the others, has a very decent price to be honest, rest are just overpriced for no reason, like a 10th gen i5 with an intel HD as an integrated GPU? no thanks.

10 hours ago, Patrik said:

this one compared to the others, has a very decent price to be honest, rest are just overpriced for no reason, like a 10th gen i5 with an intel HD as an integrated GPU? no thanks.

The price is decent until it's sold on Ebay and Amazon. Then the price skyrockets out of control - like one may cost like $600 now but once launched, it'll be like $1100 on Amazon or $1300 upwards on Ebay.

17 hours ago, skyfire said:

1300 be it on amazon or ebay at the best you can get ASUS TUF series based laptops. I kind of find it harder to justify on the price level. it's extremely difficult if you ask from that context.

That's what I'm saying. Scalpers will make this product undesirable by the masses because of the huge price difference.

19 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yeah and another thing about it is that the way world is moving a lot of tech is likely to be skipped this year too. So buying such model would be waste of resource as well. 

I get where you're coming from and you do have a point except that this is the first model and they haven't shown any plans to release subsequent versions on a yearly basis so they don't us as much resources as say a Winmax for instance.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:50 AM, skyfire said:

If there are no plans for the recurring improvement then this one shot product is not worth for those who may need future updates and the maintenance. 

I didn't say they wouldn't release an updated version - it's just that this one just hit the market so they have to give it some time to make an impact before releasing a follow. up Besides, yearly releases tend to make most products unappealing.