Register Now
Patrik

why did you pick a platform over another?

As a kid, i had both, PC and PS, but i started preferring PC over the time for many reasons, one of them, is that it can literally do everything that a console can't do, upgradable (to some extent), i'm aware to fix it when it breaks up (maintenance), keyboard & mouse (these weren't supported in consoles back then, and because i can't play shooting games with controllers, they just look so horrible), but i still love to own a console for only one reason which is the exclusive games that don't exist on PC (emulation is a pain in the a$$ already)

what about you?

Being a child of the early 80's, Atari was king until the NES hit the western market. I was hooked by Nintendo immediately. Their exclusives like SMB and Zelda were instant favorites of mine. They also had a much wider range of games and much more unique games that weren't available on other platforms like Sega. So I was a Nintendo girl from the beginning. And up until the Game Cube, I was loyal as hell. I hated both the Game Cube and the Wii. So around that area is when I started branching out to other systems like Playstation. I've always hated Xbox, but there is an Xbox exclusive that I felt like I needed (turns out I DID need it) so I have an Xbox One for that one single game alone. I have recently become somewhat addicted to RDR2. I have it for Xbox and Playstation. My personal bias towards Xbox aside, I honestly feel that the game plays much better on Playstation. A lot of it is due to the controller design. The rest is things like the game running smoother and the graphics being more crisp and clean. In essence, the graphics are more realistic on Playstation over Xbox.

But as for my early years, I was a loyal Nintendo player. Prior to my first NES I had a Colecovision, but didn't appreciate it at the time. What a fool I was.

37 minutes ago, Patrik said:

As a kid, i had both, PC and PS, but i started preferring PC over the time for many reasons, one of them, is that it can literally do everything that a console can't do, upgradable (to some extent), i'm aware to fix it when it breaks up (maintenance), keyboard & mouse (these weren't supported in consoles back then, and because i can't play shooting games with controllers, they just look so horrible), but i still love to own a console for only one reason which is the exclusive games that don't exist on PC (emulation is a pain in the a$$ already)

what about you?

Like you I was never able to play shooting games with a controller. I still can't. It is pure frustration for me. Someone suggested it's because I grew up playing with a mouse, but that's not true. We used to play shooters with the keyboard. Mouse look didn't become a regular thing until glquake in 1997.

I couldn't have convinced my parents to get a console no matter how hard I wanted anyway, because it was too expensive, and there was no education or school reason to get one unlike for a PC.

I've had a PS2, PS3, and PS4, that I bought from my own money as an adult, but strictly to play a few exclusives, most notably the Gran Turismo series. For the PS2 I never even owned any other game than GT3 and GT4. For the PS3 / 4 I had a handful of other games.

And I'm still bitter about no Gran Turismo on the PS4, so I might not even get a PS5 due to that betrayal.

Edited by m76

I look at the games available and exclusives. Depends on the game. I primarily play on PC, but some of my friends play on XBox, so certain games like Black Ops, PUBG, Rocket League, etc that they would not able to play with me unless it's platform suppoorted.. But most friends has PCs, so we buy certain games for it or we all have games for it.

PC is far and away the best when it comes to game sales / bundles, in my experience, but had by far the highest cost of entry (building it) for what I wanted out of it.

For me, PC serves a multitude of functions outside of gaming and that's the main reason I picked it - versatility. Other reasons include: the ability to repair my own machine, the ability to customize it and upgrade it. Most PC games can also be modded so that gives you more replayability with certain games.

23 hours ago, Empire said:

PC is far and away the best when it comes to game sales / bundles

that's a sure thing, but even if building a pc costs money, remember that you are able to upgrade at any time, CPU's on the other hand age pretty well and should perform for lot of years to come, so they aren't a thing to hold your back

PC can cost far more then getting PS4 or Xbox, can get a good system for $1000 anyway still 🙂 but high demanding games it's like $2400 to $5K. getting a good CPU with more then six cores and 16 threads will last for 5 years or so, GPU is the main factor.

I know my gaming laptop was $4,000. But so far, it's been worth every penny. I still game on the old stuff primarily, but this is the best laptop for gaming that I have ever seen. I made sure to get the extended warranty with it. It cost a couple hundred extra on top of the $4k I paid for the computer itself, but was a no-brainer.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:01 AM, Patrik said:

that's a sure thing, but even if building a pc costs money, remember that you are able to upgrade at any time, CPU's on the other hand age pretty well and should perform for lot of years to come, so they aren't a thing to hold your back

That's true but the price for parts especially nowadays tends to make PC gaming less attractive to the masses that want to get into it. Consoles are pretty expensive too due to scammers but at least you may get lucky and Walmart or another chain may have some in demand. PC parts especially the ones in demand are ridiculously hard to find for a reasonable price.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, Empire said:

PC can cost far more then getting PS4 or Xbox, can get a good system for $1000 anyway still 🙂 but high demanding games it's like $2400 to $5K. getting a good CPU with more then six cores and 16 threads will last for 5 years or so, GPU is the main factor.

I just mentioned this lol

On 4/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, The Blackangel said:

I know my gaming laptop was $4,000. But so far, it's been worth every penny. I still game on the old stuff primarily, but this is the best laptop for gaming that I have ever seen. I made sure to get the extended warranty with it. It cost a couple hundred extra on top of the $4k I paid for the computer itself, but was a no-brainer.

I've gotten way more out of my gaming PC than what I originally paid for it and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Walmart or another chain may have some in demand

unfortunately that's not a choice for people that aren't living in the states, few lucky people in Europe managed to get that (and even here where i live, people managed to buy PS5 from France and have it shipped for cheaper to their locations)

I started out playing everything. I remember having Playstations, Nintendo consoles, and a couple computers. Although I love playing on multiple platforms, as I got older I found I had less time and money to keep everything, Nowadays I mostly play PC games but I am always down to play console games when I get the chance.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, lludawg said:

I started out playing everything. I remember having Playstations, Nintendo consoles, and a couple computers. Although I love playing on multiple platforms, as I got older I found I had less time and money to keep everything, Nowadays I mostly play PC games but I am always down to play console games when I get the chance.

Same here - I've owned almost every console since the original Nintendo but as I grew older, I became a PC gamer and now there's no turning back for me although I still do play some console games on emulators.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:54 AM, killamch89 said:

I became a PC gamer and now there's no turning back for me although I still do play some console games on emulators.

This is pretty much me here as well

On 4/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, lludawg said:

I'd say if you find them console better than stick with it. platforms are just choice other than that there is nothing much about it.