Register Now
StaceyPowers

How often do you spot inaccuracies in video game discussions?

Sometimes I am startled by major errors in players’ recollections of events or dialogue in games, and their subsequent jumps to inaccurate conclusions. Does anyone else find this surprising or annoying? I can remember things incorrectly too, but I’d be embarrassed if I were basing a strong judgment on an inaccurate recollection.

There is nothing to do about it unfortunately, people sometimes try to contribute by using their knowledge (which they believe it's correct) but some people just involve themselves to appear as they got knowledge

Why should people be encouraged to be "objective" about a piece of entertainment that they paid for? To not hurt the feelings of people who fall on the deeper ends of the spectrum? I'd say people are entitled to feel however the fuck they want about a video game and that lively more strong opinions positively or negatively are more useful and interesting

On 4/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Sometimes I am startled by major errors in players’ recollections of events or dialogue in games, and their subsequent jumps to inaccurate conclusions. Does anyone else find this surprising or annoying? I can remember things incorrectly too, but I’d be embarrassed if I were basing a strong judgment on an inaccurate recollection.

This sounds false memories and/or the Mandela Effect.

50 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Exactly! I think a lot of people suffer that from time to time. Plus I think there are many people wired differently where they may pick up on subtle hints more than others and run with it maybe to an overextended proportion which can blow the whole plot of the game out of water. Or look too deep into things. Or even influenced by drugs or alcohol during a gaming session can skew an actual meaning. Hard to say. But I think your statement is the most likely. 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I was looking for the exact the word to describe this.

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Exactly! I think a lot of people suffer that from time to time. Plus I think there are many people wired differently where they may pick up on subtle hints more than others and run with it maybe to an overextended proportion which can blow the whole plot of the game out of water. Or look too deep into things. Or even influenced by drugs or alcohol during a gaming session can skew an actual meaning. Hard to say. But I think your statement is the most likely. 

Or you can add that some people probably played remakes or alternate versions of the same game so their recollection might be slightly off.

There is the other side of the coin as well, that some people will deliberately try to gaslight you. 

And it often works, there was more than one occasion recently where I was doubting my own sanity and had to fire up games to double check if I remember correctly.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, Empire said:

Why should people be encouraged to be "objective" about a piece of entertainment that they paid for? To not hurt the feelings of people who fall on the deeper ends of the spectrum? I'd say people are entitled to feel however the fuck they want about a video game and that lively more strong opinions positively or negatively are more useful and interesting

This is exactly where I categorically stand on. Everyone has got their own individual way of understanding and view towards the game they play. What appears inaccurate to one may not be so to another person.