Register Now
StaceyPowers

Moments when gaming is magical

Probably the first time I ever beat a game. Which would have been about 35 years ago. If I was asked to recall the game, I couldn't.

If you're asking about today, it would most likely be when I figured out exactly what you have to do to tame a wild horse. I now know how to tame any wild horse in the game. As a result, I own 3 Arabian horses. As soon as I reach full bonding with my current one, I'm going for the white Arabian. There's one I can't get until much later in the game, because it's in Blackwater. Arthur crosses the river into Blackwater and he's a dead man. So that one is out of bounds. But I'll have 4 out of 5. I'll stable 3 of them, and ride the 4th one. Some say it's hard to even approach a wild horse, and even harder to break them. Not once you figure it out. And there's tons of wild horses through out the game. You can catch them, break them, and sell them. Granted it's not a huge money maker, but it will usually put $2-$5 in your pocket if you sell them at a stable. It gets you a little more if you sell them at the horse fence, once it's open. But it's still not going to make you rich.

1. First time playing Legend of Kyrandia on PC, coming from the C64 the color palette seemed amazing, and the hand painted backgrounds were so beautiful. I never actually finished the game because I did not understand the text, but the graphics was enough to be in awe.
  2. Playing Need For Speed for the first time. It was the first racing game that had convincing enough graphics to actually feel real instead of just a "dumb" game.
  3. Not playing a game, but the actual anticipation of the release of Red Alert with some of my friends. We were enthralled by the C&C franchise.
  4. When I found the secret MJ12 base under hell's kitchen in DeusEx, and it was just the tip of the iceberg.
  5. Playing Star Trek Voyager Elite force truly was magical, the whole game felt like you were starring in your own personal episode of the TV show.
  6. Max Payne 2, it was the first time a videogame made me actually care about fictional characters
  7. The highpoint of the GTA franchise to me was Vice City, just having fun and listening to flash fm or wave.
  8. Mass Effect after you leave the citadel and get command of the Normandy and realize you can go to any planet you want. It was the first time I felt true freedom in a game
  9. Getting lost in the world of Oblivion, it felt so huge and so many interesting places to explore.
  10. When I realized there is a huge underground city in Skyrim
  11. Beyond Two Souls is still the most intimate experience I had with a videogame, where I felt responsible for the main character. It's a real emotional roller coaster.
  12. Playing Train Simulator during the holiday season in 2013, I don't know why but it felt magical, I particularly remember one scenario taking the baldwin centipede through the horseshoe curve supposedly on christmas eve.

One of the realms in the latest God of War. Picture explains itself. 205904753_GodofWar_20201025141530_1.thumb.jpg.76b04abef5a3ac355f2f41fb4b72f8c7.jpg

And I also have to say one of the maps in AC Valhalla is completely magical. I don't have my pics copied yet, but I am taken by it. And not only that, but to be a viking in a new land with ancient ruins scattered about, reminding of a great civilization beyond imagination of the smaller viking villages. To me, it's pretty magical. Cause if you think about it, what is magical to us are things we simply don't ordinarily see or beyond our reasoning and comprehension. Someone raised in a fishing village may think NYC is magical with all the skyscrapers. And it is if you never been there. 

When I was in Lords Mobile and we had to take on another guild that was twice the size of ours. The kicker was that only six of us were able to fight because the rest were out of commission because of another war we had prior. Ironically, the six of us defeated them and for months the other guild was so salty because the whole kingdom kept trolling them about it lol.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:24 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What are some moments you can recall while gaming that felt truly magical, and why?

Personally, I would say that it's the first time of actually playing a game that you really craved so much and also getting to complete a game for the first time. They are both magical feelings.