Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long should a company support a console?

Most will say good five to ten years, depanding on how long the nexy console is out. If there is a big gap of dive years to each gen to be coming out then they should keep it running for at least 15 to 20 years 🙂 

I mean hardware and software they do not need to support but the games that people love to play they should support for years on end. Not all games do get released for the next console.

If there's one advantage consoles should have, it's that they're their own ecosystem. Unlike with PC, where emulation and support is becoming increasingly difficult for those behind such things, consoles are beholden only to their own exclusive operating system and hardware. They don't have to worry so much about compatibility compared to, say, Windows, and all the changes to the parts that go into a case.

They do however have to contend with the used games market and the graphical arms race publishers want to push, meaning whether they want to support a console or not is at odds with the money they'll make from it as time goes on. What doesn't help, and as far as I'm concerned is inexcusable, is the online requirements for patching firmware such as internet connections during first-time setups or after formatting.

I'd be fine with them cutting support for a console the moment the next one comes out if it weren't for that; otherwise I'm just waiting in the rafters to say "another blow against digital ownership", and move on to the next thing I'll get mad about.

I would say they should support it until at least 2 years into their next console's life. If that's confusing, I mean Playstation should continue to support PS4 until a minimum of 2 years into PS5's life. Preferably longer. I'm saying this because with every console release there are bugs that the company didn't catch. And on release the only ones that seem to be able to even get the damn things are fucking scalpers. So most gamers will still be playing the previous generation because they simply can't afford a 300% markup from a cocksucker who's greedy as fuck. I'm not dropping $1500 on a $500 console.

I'd say a good 2 decades and then when they officially cut support, you can still download the game somewhere and it can function on a local device. I also think that backwards compatibility should be supported if you don't plan on continuing support for a particular device within the first 10 years.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, m76 said:

In this day and age I think they should make sure that after official support ends the console can still be used without it.

So if they intend to shut down servers, release a patch that makes the consoles fully functional without it. 

If you don't game online though, then that doesn't really make any sense. The console can still be used to game. Just not online. And there are a lot of games that are super popular that don't offer any online version. Yet they're still successful. There are some that have been on multiple entries into a console franchise. Skyrim is on the PS3 and the PS4 both. So ending "official support" doesn't make the console a paperweight. They will still run any games you have, just not an online version.

can't say forever, but should be atleast 20 years, there are always improvements and newer things to try, which means, less users for that specific platform, that's why majority of companies drop support, i really hate (go for the majority) thingy

On 4/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, The Blackangel said:

I would say they should support it until at least 2 years into their next console's life. If that's confusing, I mean Playstation should continue to support PS4 until a minimum of 2 years into PS5's life. Preferably longer. I'm saying this because with every console release there are bugs that the company didn't catch. And on release the only ones that seem to be able to even get the damn things are fucking scalpers. So most gamers will still be playing the previous generation because they simply can't afford a 300% markup from a cocksucker who's greedy as fuck. I'm not dropping $1500 on a $500 console.

Seriously, this is something that I completely agree with because it's very important that they carry the old console along with the newly released one in order not to pull the plug on it immediately and mark it death.