Register Now
Knight Plug

Why the hell is Naughty Dog remaking The Last of Us?

Money talks, I guess. 🤧

It's sad to see Naughty Dog going the route of Capcom, who have been going overboard with the Resident Evil franchise for years now. But I always felt as if Naughty Dog knew better than to mess up their baby.  

To make matters worse, I don't think we will be receiving a sequel to Days Gone either, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/MH9Ve6AehnQ

All franchises are at their best in their stage of infancy. Once they branch them out, they just end up milking it into the dirt. The original is a splendid example of art, but they know fans will buy it anyway.

Would they even rehire Ashley and Troy? 

I actually heard about this a couple of days ago. I would have stated a thread myself, but wanted to wait for more validity to the rumour.

Now, you won't find very many people who love this franchise more than me, but even I can't get behind this at all. This is a complete waste of time, effort and cash, however little of those things it would actually take to pull this off. I don't think a sequel to Days Gone would have made me any happier as I didn't actually enjoy that game very much, but it would be easier to justify. I see this as an attempt to strike the hot pan close to the release of the upcoming TV show and that's about it. I hope they don't do it, but Sony are making more than thier fair share of bad decisions as of late, so we shouldn't be surprised. 

@The Blackangel The PS4 version of the game is a remaster already, just another reason why this rumoured PS5 version should not exist. 

Edited by Shagger

13 hours ago, thesaunderschild said:

Is it even worth getting a PS5 at this rate? 😐

I've been wondering the same thing. But either way, it will be at be minimum 2 years (more likely 3+) before I'll be giving any serious thought into getting one. And it's for the same three reasons as always.

Edited by The Blackangel

In terms of business I'm sure that Sony can and will make a tidy profit from a remake, but that is the ONLY reason for them doing this.  This is the very definition of creatively bankrupt. The OP was critcal of Capcom for all the Resident Evil remakes but they actually make sense. Gaming has moved to a point where the experience can be legitimately improved from those dated tank controlled games.  The original PS3 release of The Last of Us however, isn't even 10 years old and it still looks and plays modern.

There is room for some very minor improvements like AI and a fresh coat of next gen paint but unlike Resident Evil they won't be able to take significant steps to improve an experience that's already perfect.  If you can't remake it better why remake it at all?

Sony.... Is.... Loosing it.

This is on the long list of idiotic decisions we've been seeing from Sony in the last few years and frankly, I'm beginning to be concerned about where they're headed. At the rate they're going, Xbox will take their spot with all the pro-consumer moves Xbox has been making lately. I know I said that the PS5 will easily outclass the Xbox Series consoles but after all the things I've seen from both companies in the last few years, Xbox will have the advantage very soon. I loved the original TLOU as much as many others on this platform but Sony seems to be obsessed with "blockbusters" as their devs rightly put it. 

19 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

There is room for some very minor improvements like AI and a fresh coat of next gen paint but unlike Resident Evil they won't be able to take significant steps to improve an experience that's already perfect.  If you can't remake it better why remake it at all?

LOL, The Last of Us is very far from perfect, playing the second game after trying out the remake on PS4 has revealed to me just how far off the old game is. If they can turn the first game into something that plays like the second, I'm all in. Especially if this next gen remake would also be made available on PC.

Wow, this announcement is ... bizarre to me, lol. I'm not sure what to say. This seems superfluous and pointless to me, but as someone who hasn't yet touched a PS4, much less a PS5, I don't really know if I can comment on it.

The story, the dialogue, the exposition, the acting ... all are pristine to me. But could gameplay, graphics, and environments be improved?

I guess I could potentially see the use for something that is more than a remaster and less than a remake, if that makes sense.

11 hours ago, m76 said:

LOL, The Last of Us is very far from perfect, playing the second game after trying out the remake on PS4 has revealed to me just how far off the old game is. If they can turn the first game into something that plays like the second, I'm all in. Especially if this next gen remake would also be made available on PC.

I'm going to have to disagree, the Last of Us Remastered and the sequal don't play that mutch different (and in some aspects I'd say the sequal is worse).  Even if they did the that's not the heart of the reason l describe the original as "perfect".  It's the storytelling and characters the sell the experience and I just can't see them doing it any better.

It's not like the Resident Evil or Final Fantasy 7 remakes where new technology has given those developers the opportunity to add to the experience and make significant steps forward. If all they are going to do is refine the visuals, A.I, animations and other mechanics to be more like the sequel then it's clearly not worth the effort.  Especially when you consider that The Last of Us is playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility and even on PC via PS Now, I know the latter is not exactly ideal but you can do it.

I agree with @StaceyPowers that this is "superfluous and pointless" waste of Naughty Dog's talents.  They could and should be working on a new Uncharted, TLOU sequel or even a new IP for PS5.  Now it might about 6 or 7 years before we see legitimatly new content from this studio and that is going to hurt the PS5 badly.

Edited by Crazycrab