Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is the appeal of the Switch?

16 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've been curious about this as well. You can hook it up to the tv or be portable right? I actually was looking up games available for it the other day. But the system isn't that cheap. 

It's portable but with a dock, you can hook it up to your TV and play with your friends. In any event, they're set to release an updated version so you'll probably be able to get the first-gen Switch for a lower price when the updated one comes out.

It's a Nintendo console with Nintendo games. That's it for me. None of its other unique selling points (USP) like its portability, cartridge format, subscription bonuses and so forth really appealed to me while I had it. The area I live in is too unsafe to be carrying around a Switch, and it's not like I like Super Mario Odyssee enough to go a few hours without it to and from home, so it remained hooked up to the TV save for the few occassions I wanted the feeling of playing a handheld device. The JoyCons were OK for the little time I used them; not great, not terrible. Just about the only thing I felt was truly great was its rumble features, but indie devs didn't take advantage of it which made Fast RMX a much worse experience. I decided to stick with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I was spoilt for that rumble.

It's portable and a lot more powerful. I use the Switch Lite. It doesn't dock like the original Switch, but it's a lot more stable. And if I don't want to play a game, I can watch Hulu or Netflix on it. The Switch Lite supports microSD cards that I haven't seen a Switch able to handle. For example I have a 512g in my Lite and about 100 DDL's on it. I also have about 30 carts that I play on it as well. No memory issues and they all run smooth as greased owl shit. The Switch can't support a cart that big. If I had $500 to spare I would buy a 1Tb card to put in it, but I can't afford that.

The Switch/Lite is a superior gaming device. It does lack a few titles for whatever reason, but otherwise, it's more than worth getting. Especially for you Skyrim nuts. You can take the game with you so that when you're not home and you start jonesing you can grab your Switch and get your fix. The Witcher 3 is on it as well, for those of you that are all about that game.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, Withywarlock said:

It's a Nintendo console with Nintendo games. That's it for me. None of its other unique selling points (USP) like its portability, cartridge format, subscription bonuses and so forth really appealed to me while I had it. The area I live in is too unsafe to be carrying around a Switch, and it's not like I like Super Mario Odyssee enough to go a few hours without it to and from home, so it remained hooked up to the TV save for the few occassions I wanted the feeling of playing a handheld device. The JoyCons were OK for the little time I used them; not great, not terrible. Just about the only thing I felt was truly great was its rumble features, but indie devs didn't take advantage of it which made Fast RMX a much worse experience. I decided to stick with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because I was spoilt for that rumble.

It's not even that complicated - Nintendo portable console with their signature characters in various games. Nintendo could put out a Mario Switch game pictures of Mario only and people would be buying it like crazy.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, The Blackangel said:

It's portable and a lot more powerful. I use the Switch Lite. It doesn't dock like the original Switch, but it's a lot more stable. And if I don't want to play a game, I can watch Hulu or Netflix on it. The Switch Lite supports microSD cards that I haven't seen a Switch able to handle. For example I have a 512g in my Lite and about 100 DDL's on it. I also have about 30 carts that I play on it as well. No memory issues and they all run smooth as greased owl shit. The Switch can't support a cart that big. If I had $500 to spare I would buy a 1Tb card to put in it, but I can't afford that.

The Switch/Lite is a superior gaming device. It does lack a few titles for whatever reason, but otherwise, it's more than worth getting. Especially for you Skyrim nuts. You can take the game with you so that when you're not home and you start jonesing you can grab your Switch and get your fix. The Witcher 3 is on it as well, for those of you that are all about that game.

Wait...you can watch Netflix and Hulu on the Switch Lite? Did not know that.

Or did I just read that wrong?

But to answer the question. I have the swtich lite and honestly I just like having a hanheld and to be able to play games on it that I wouldn't have access to on any other system. I don't have to plop myself up to my tv for my ps4. I can just get my Switch out and play. 

Edited by The Burnout Kid

On 4/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, killamch89 said:

It's portable but with a dock, you can hook it up to your TV and play with your friends. In any event, they're set to release an updated version so you'll probably be able to get the first-gen Switch for a lower price when the updated one comes out.

I get to do that a lot with my gaming buddies whenever they come over. We do gaming hook up every week at each of our houses just to change our gaming spots. 

On 7/27/2021 at 4:22 AM, Heatman said:

I get to do that a lot with my gaming buddies whenever they come over. We do gaming hook up every week at each of our houses just to change our gaming spots. 

I'm thinking of getting the Switch as well as a PS5 but I'm still trying to get my hands on a 3090 at a reasonable price to finish my gaming PC build.

On 7/28/2021 at 5:55 AM, Demon_skeith said:

You can play it on your big screen at your house or take it on the go anywhere, that is a really big feature that I hope Nintendo keeps going with. Surpised Sony or MS hasn't jump on it. 

It's very obvious that Nintendo have a great sense when it comes to working up what thrills their gamers and it's keeping them in business big time.