Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you want a full edition next gen console, would you settle for a digital edition?

I'd not settle for the digital edition. You basically lock yourself in that you can only purchase every game from the ps store directly, even if they are cheaper elsewhere.

And all your purchases are tied to your account and you can't resell any games unlike physical copies. You also eliminate the possibility of buying second hand games.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's digital only does that make it incomplete because there's already a version that allows physical media? Don't get me wrong, if I had to go for a PS5 I'd probably end up going for the digital because I don't care enough about consoles to go through the physical rigmarole they have today, but I would still argue it's not the "full" package.

Even then with how the envelope's been pushed with multiple editions of consoles such as the Pro ones, I'd rather wait until I know for certain the system's at the end of its life before getting the not-Pro one.

Why would you not, it's all digital nowadays. I mean with most gaming or desktop and laptops do not even come with disc drives anymore. My rig doesn't. Give it time and all consoles won't be having any discs drives in them.

It's fading away to all digital 🙂 I have no used my dics infive good years and now you can run games using mods to not to have to use the discs. 

8 minutes ago, Empire said:

Why would you not, it's all digital nowadays. I mean with most gaming or desktop and laptops do not even come with disc drives anymore. My rig doesn't. Give it time and all consoles won't be having any discs drives in them.

It's fading away to all digital 🙂 I have no used my dics infive good years and now you can run games using mods to not to have to use the discs. 

Just because PC gaming has long since abandoned disk based games doesn't mean that disk based games have lost any value. On the contrary, the advantages of disk based games are more precious and valued now more than ever and not just taken for granted because greedy game publishers are so desperate to be rid of them. They don't want people to be able to buy used games, swap games, loan games to friends, trade them and know they'll still work even if the store/service that provided them goes down. Like I said, just because PC gamers have had to live without these rights for so many years doesn't meant they have lost any value. 

So suffice to say, I say stick to your guns and get the console with the disk drive. 

My personal opinion, I probably would because to be honest, physical copies have their drawbacks as well which include: If disc is damaged, the game is screwed, sometimes you misplace them and then there's the matter of physical storage. Some people just don't have enough space in their dwelling to accommodate them so the digital edition is quite viable.

I’ve always been a go-to for disc games, the only time I would go digital fully is with something like the PS Vita/Switch.

so if I had the chance to either buy a digital PS5 now or wait a year for the disc option, I’d wait a full year TBH

On 4/27/2021 at 7:47 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I really want the full PS5, but I would settle for digital by this point. For those also shopping for a next gen console, would you settle for digital if you want the full version?

Seriously, it's very obvious that settling for the digital in full version is a better bargain. In fact, it's my choice to go digital as well.