Register Now
m76

There might not be a Last of Us 3

As reported by ign Neil Druckman has said in a podcast that Naughty Dog is still in the process of deciding what their next big title will be. And spoiler alert, it might not be The Last of Us 3.

To me this seems like excuse making. If they don't want to do it, because they feel burnt out on the franchise that I can understand. But if they are reluctant to commit to  it due to the backlash for the second game, that would make me extremely mad.  Either way, since the project is not even in pre-production if they do decide to make it it won't be ready until the very end of this decade, which is a real shame.

Edited by m76

Give it a time. They will come back. It's just that they have too many expectations and so coming with new sequels one after another is not easy. Giving it a time emotions stabilize in community and they can get back to accepting new. 

Maybe they will or not. With covid, most have been delayed or stopped then again they are all working from home. If it will make them far good amount of sales and money they will do it 🙂 

It seems to me that covid is just a scapegoat. It does not affect office productivity that negatively if at all. Some people just work more efficiently from home. No distractions from colleagues. Only get in contact when really needed.

6 hours ago, Empire said:

If it will make them far good amount of sales and money they will do it 🙂 

I agree on that. When the show comes out they will have a better idea whether or not to make a part 3. But their trend is to release games on the last year of consoles before a new one comes out. 

14 hours ago, m76 said:

It seems to me that covid is just a scapegoat. It does not affect office productivity that negatively if at all. Some people just work more efficiently from home. No distractions from colleagues. Only get in contact when really needed.

Not true. There are places in the world where work from home is not even possible because not every industry can work from home and people who work in software do have to go out eventually to. bunkers and staying home with supplies doesn't last long. I know many people who came out after 1 st wave but got infected badly in 2nd. 

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

Not true. There are places in the world where work from home is not even possible because not every industry can work from home and people who work in software do have to go out eventually to. bunkers and staying home with supplies doesn't last long. I know many people who came out after 1 st wave but got infected badly in 2nd. 

I'm sorry, but LOL. We are talking about Naughty Dog that is in the US. You are telling me that it is not possible to work from home in north america?  Bunkers? supplies? What on earth are you talking about? It is not the apocalypse, people can still buy food and supplies as before. You just have to be a bit more careful about disinfecting and social distancing. Have you really been living in a bunker for the last year?

I'm mostly working in software, and I've been working from home since March 2020, only going to the office 2-4 times a month. And productivity increased, not decreased because the stress of the commute is gone. When there is inevitable downtime I can do my own things, instead of sitting in an office staring at a wall.  99% of office workers could do their job from home as well as from an office or better.

Not willing does not equal not possible.

And what does getting careless after the first wave have to do with working from home as a software developer? Thanks to technology you can even do meetings virtually now without actually sitting in the same office. So yeah, for ND and most game devs in the first world, covid is a convenient excuse for delays, and not something that significantly hinders progress. 

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

Bunkers? I think I did spot some clickers out on the prairie. You are right supplies don't last long. Especially when you mummify your hand in toilet paper. But, with all due respect, if they had bunkers in India they sure as hell would use it. 

But if they wanted to make a part 3, I hope they do take their time and go for a 3rd Game of The Year award. That would be legendary for the series instead of chasing money and release a not so good game just to keep pace with a tv show if they are planning multiple seasons. 

To be fair, I'm not sure where the story can go after this because most of the main plot points have been wrapped up. Would this new sequel include new characters if it were to happen? Also, making a sequel for the sake of it always ends badly - just ask Metal Gear Survive.

22 hours ago, m76 said:

So yeah, for ND and most game devs in the first world, covid is a convenient excuse for delays, and not something that significantly hinders progress. 

I respectfully disagree, a lot of software devs in 1st world despite remote work and the WFH have had their share of the delays, if the covid is not the reason, then I don't know what is.