Register Now
m76

Do you prefer happy or sad endings?

It seems to me that most games have at best a bitter or ambiguous ending.

What do you prefer?

I much prefer happy ends, I don't like tragic ends to stories. I'm not for foreshadowing either. When a game ends every plot point should be tied up nicely with no open ends and unfinished businesses remaining. If the game was great, people will want a sequel anyway, you don't need to leave breadcrumbs for that.

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

Happy endings seem to be more predicted and not interesting at all, Bad endings seem to be more interesting even if it breaks your heart 

At this point bad endings are the predictable ones, it's very rare to have a game or even a movie that ends without anyone important dying or something going horribly wrong.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

At this point bad endings are the predictable ones

how so? people always expect happy endings after a lot of suffering and action going on, so they don't expect something bad to happen

I am so sick of happy endings I could puke. I want the protagonist to lose in some way. Kill them off and replace them with someone else. If they would kill off the entire Van Der Linde gang in RDR2 and make me play as an agent for the Pinkerton agency, or a member of the O'Driscoll gang, that would be amazing. If Mario could lose to Bowser and make me play as one of the Koopa kids. If link could lose to Ganondorf and I become one of his monsters. If Squall was turned by whatever means and started to serve Ultimecia, and killed off his former comrades.

I DON'T CARE WHAT, JUST GIVE ME SOME-FUCKING-THING ELSE

2 hours ago, Patrik said:

how so? people always expect happy endings after a lot of suffering and action going on, so they don't expect something bad to happen

Frankly I'm sick and tired of all games and movies killing off some important character or making the protagonist fail in some way. All I want is a proper win, that feels like a win and not overshadowed by some terrible tragedy.

From the games I've played in the past 1.5 years exactly zero had a happy ending. F that. Isn't it enough that real world gets me down? I want more uplifting stories.

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think sometimes a game throws in a dramatic event for an affect, but doesn't really fit into the game. I think what that does is desensitize us to games that are meant to be dramatic. So in order to keep drama strong, we need a balance of happy ending games too and vice versa. 

It seems like they think a game can only be thrilling and dramatic if it ends on a sour note.  If TLOU2 had ended after the farm scene it would've been perfect. But no, they had to "subvert our expectations". That term is a curse.

This might sound crazy but I like satisfying endings, whether they be happy, sad or down to interpretation.   If it concludes the story in a manner that works then I'm down with it.  The endings I'm not satisfied with are those that aren't really endings but when they just stop.

I prefer happy endings in comparison to sad endings but as long as the ending is not forced or too random then I am usually okay with it. As long as there is some sort of conclusion and not a cliffhanger haha.

I prefer sad endings, then again depends on the story. I think they leave a longer lasting impression than happy endings and make you think more. I tend to analyse and think a lot more about the plot of the book if the ending was sad. Makes me more intellectually stimulated and motivated to find out 'how did it get to this?'.

You know, when I read happy endings in the title, my mind started thinking about something completely different XD. On a more serious note, It doesn't matter to me if the game has a happy, sad or open ending as long as it's well done and doesn't seem forced or lazy.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:40 PM, Patrik said:

Happy endings seem to be more predicted and not interesting at all, Bad endings seem to be more interesting even if it breaks your heart 

Seriously, it's very predictable with happy ending which takes away the thrills you get when you are left in the dark of what will happen in the end.