Register Now
Gio

Thoughts on the PS2?

The PS2 was the one and only PlayStation console I ever owned, and would say that it made a huge impact for me. It was also the console I first started playing the Grand Theft Auto franchise, and then I found a few other games I enjoyed such as Hitman and even when it was a bit aggravating, The Sims. It always made me laugh when I thought the graphics were good, especially compared to today. 😛

Cosmetically, it was an attractive system. It was also the first console to feature DVD capabilities. The backwards compatibility with PS1 games was also a major plus. There's really nothing bad that I can say about it. I unfortunately missed the era due to reasons I won't get in to. But with everything it featured, and everything it was capable of doing, it was one of the best consoles ever released. I doubt anyone will even try to argue that. And it still holds up today, 3 generations of consoles later. I honestly feel that it laid the groundwork for future disc based consoles.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Cosmetically, it was an attractive system. It was also the first console to feature DVD capabilities. The backwards compatibility with PS1 games was also a major plus. There's really nothing bad that I can say about it. I unfortunately missed the era due to reasons I won't get in to. But with everything it featured, and everything it was capable of doing, it was one of the best consoles ever released. I doubt anyone will even try to argue that. And it still holds up today, 3 generations of consoles later. I honestly feel that it laid the groundwork for future disc based consoles.

I certainly won't argue.  It's the only console I can think of where every single aspect (aside from controlers, which were pretty much the same) was an upgrade.  It had improved asthetics, UI, build quality, graphics and media playback.  It also had the best games on the market and it was FULLY backwards compatible needing nothing but a copy of a PS1 game.  No other console in the PlayStation, XBox or even Nintendo line up has ever achieved all that including the PS5.  It was quite a system.

I have a very soft spot for the PlayStation 2. It's what got me into gaming. I got it as a Christmas gift one day, along with The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie game and Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. It was my very first console, and while I overall prefer some other platforms, there will always be a ton of sentimental value and nostalgia for this console and its games.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:35 AM, Gio said:

The PS2 was the one and only PlayStation console I ever owned, and would say that it made a huge impact for me. It was also the console I first started playing the Grand Theft Auto franchise, and then I found a few other games I enjoyed such as Hitman and even when it was a bit aggravating, The Sims. It always made me laugh when I thought the graphics were good, especially compared to today. 😛

As far as I'm concerned, PS2 is the only PS console that I played more than other ones. It was fantastic for me when I was growing up. 

3 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

PS2 was an amazing system, still have my original fat PS2, doesn't play DVDs well but still plays the games 😄

It's my only gaming console that I never gave away after I got an upgrade. Given away my Playstation 1, and 3 but still with my 1 and 4. 

I have PS 1-4 and I'm not letting them go. With the PS2 and PS3 I have no need to get my PS1 out though. Also since the PS3 uses internal memory, I don't have to spend all damn day trying to find the right fucking memory card just be able to play my god damn games. That is/was the biggest pain in the ass with disc based systems in the early days of the technology. Finding the right memory card, assuming you can find the damn thing in the first place.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 7/28/2021 at 5:47 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I still have my PS3, but I'm sure I will get rid of it. But I agree, I don't think I will give up my PS2, its a golden system. 

Seriously, it's a no no for me and even if I did eventually give it away, I'm definitely going to buy it again. 

1 minute ago, killamch89 said:

The PS2 was a masterpiece with a whole load of original and unique games at launch as well as over the lifespan of the console. And it also came with backwards compatibility which made it an even more versatile machine.

Till date, I don't really know if I have seen anyone who owned Playstation 2 console that never loved it especially with the games it came with. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:39 PM, Heatman said:

Till date, I don't really know if I have seen anyone who owned Playstation 2 console that never loved it especially with the games it came with. 

Of course, especially those of us who were going to high school at the time and spent hours playing Vice City, San Andreas, NFS Underground 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 4 and a whole host of other games.