Register Now
killamch89

Ubisoft Is Going All In On Pay To Win

In an announcement that isn't very surprising to most of us, Ubisoft has said that they intend to focus more of their efforts on F2P games. That's right folks! They'll be ramping up microtransactions in their video games. What do you think of this?

Considering that their platform "Ubisoft Connect" can't even connect reliably is quite ironic considering the branding. I can't imagine how well goobisoft is going to handle this, but I don't think its going to be well. This companies will learn one day that, just like in reality, there are not enough Whales in the world to sustain their business.

When I think of Ubisoft I think of Rocket League, Just Dance, and Rocksmith. But I am pretty sure none of these games are F2P games right? Honestly I cannot think of any F2P Ubisoft games right now off the top of my head... are they known for certain F2P games that I've never heard of or something???

Yeah that just means less money from me, then. I've purchased many of their AAA releases in the past few years, starting with Wildlands, Odyssey, Breakpoint, and I would've purchased Valhalla and Legion as well, had they not made their own bed with uplay plus.

But I have zero interest in f2p games, they are one and all total garbage, made with sole purpose of conning you into in game purchases. They couldn't make it fly in their AAA titles as "time savers", now they try this. I look for a quality time in gaming and F2P is just not that.

9 hours ago, Empire said:

Considering that their platform "Ubisoft Connect" can't even connect reliably is quite ironic considering the branding. I can't imagine how well goobisoft is going to handle this, but I don't think its going to be well. This companies will learn one day that, just like in reality, there are not enough Whales in the world to sustain their business.

Their platform isn't even that safe either as was revealed in the Apple vs Epic case. This is going to backfire on them big time and it'll be glorious.

2 hours ago, lludawg said:

When I think of Ubisoft I think of Rocket League, Just Dance, and Rocksmith. But I am pretty sure none of these games are F2P games right? Honestly I cannot think of any F2P Ubisoft games right now off the top of my head... are they known for certain F2P games that I've never heard of or something???

Rocket League is an Epic game now and the plan is to basically make their top triple A titles such as Farcry "Free To Pay - I mean Play".

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Yeah that just means less money from me, then. I've purchased many of their AAA releases in the past few years, starting with Wildlands, Odyssey, Breakpoint, and I would've purchased Valhalla and Legion as well, had they not made their own bed with uplay plus.

But I have zero interest in f2p games, they are one and all total garbage, made with sole purpose of conning you into in game purchases. They couldn't make it fly in their AAA titles as "time savers", now they try this. I look for a quality time in gaming and F2P is just not that.

With Sega giving Phantasy Star Online 2 and its upcoming sequel the royal treatment, it just goes to show Ubisoft's greed,

How long before some Ubisoft executive says;

"We had to add these vastly more egregious microtransactions to the new, premium Assassin's Creed because we don't think it's fair that only those players who play our free-to-play version should have access to these choice items."

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think micro transactions are never justified. I am not sure how much money they need to get over that greed. 

There's never such a thing as too much money for any of these companies and instead of trying to improve the quality of their games or the security of their platform, they're busy trying to come up with new ways of ripping off their community. Microtransactions should've never gained traction in the gaming community in the first place and we as gamers are to be blamed for supporting this practice by spend our money.

I currently have 6 AC games downloaded on my system and play them all on a regular basis. I don't feel pressured to buy anything, but they do offer cool gear that I want which is very expensive. I can't justify the prices when I can buy a whole new game instead. They do offer free gear in the game as you do quests and over time usually weekly you can earn enough credits to get a free piece. I love that they offer that. The store price, please, crank it down a little. But I hope Ubisoft isn't thinking of going multiplayer or pay in any way to play Assassin's Creed games in the future. They have a great thing going that they shouldn't ruin. I won't pay for any bullshit like that. 

On 5/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I currently have 6 AC games downloaded on my system and play them all on a regular basis. I don't feel pressured to buy anything, but they do offer cool gear that I want which is very expensive. I can't justify the prices when I can buy a whole new game instead. They do offer free gear in the game as you do quests and over time usually weekly you can earn enough credits to get a free piece. I love that they offer that. The store price, please, crank it down a little. But I hope Ubisoft isn't thinking of going multiplayer or pay in any way to play Assassin's Creed games in the future. They have a great thing going that they shouldn't ruin. I won't pay for any bullshit like that. 

Well that's precisely where they'll be going and the evidence has been in front of our faces for a couple of years with games like Rainbow Six Siege and a few others. They do earn a fair bit of income from those games so I think that may have had some influence on their decision to go down this road.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:00 AM, killamch89 said:

Well that's precisely where they'll be going and the evidence has been in front of our faces for a couple of years with games like Rainbow Six Siege and a few others. They do earn a fair bit of income from those games so I think that may have had some influence on their decision to go down this road.

I am not sure of the rainbow but I think Assassins creed if gone the microtransaction ways inside the game that would be pretty much make people quit it. 

On 6/1/2021 at 2:37 AM, skyfire said:

I am not sure of the rainbow but I think Assassins creed if gone the microtransaction ways inside the game that would be pretty much make people quit it. 

Rainbow Six Siege has plenty of microtransactions for cosmetics and other stuff so that's probably how they'll start modelling their triple A games because of Rainbow Six Siege's longevity.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:35 AM, killamch89 said:

Rainbow Six Siege has plenty of microtransactions for cosmetics and other stuff so that's probably how they'll start modelling their triple A games because of Rainbow Six Siege's longevity.

Imagine some of such AAA titles owned by Apple: They would release it calling it feature and apple fans be like "innovation claps claps". 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, skyfire said:

Imagine some of such AAA titles owned by Apple: They would release it calling it feature and apple fans be like "innovation claps claps". 

Nah - the gaming industry isn't as easily fooled. If anything, the gaming industry is very skeptical of everything so they really have to bring their A game if they want ot known for anything innovative.