Register Now
The Blackangel

Tell Me About Dark Souls

I see a lot of talk about this game, and I actually have Dark Souls 1 & 2 for my PS3. I just never got around to actually playing them. I think it's mainly because I don't know all that much about them, and haven't seen anyone play either. Whether in person or on YT, is moot. So I'm wanting to hear not only opinions, but facts about the games, to help me decide if I really want to hook my PS3 back up and see if I can get into them. Things about the story as well. Is it open world? Is it a loose story? Does it have a specific mission? Does the mission alter at all as the game progresses? (Think FF8) Is there a specific protagonist and antagonist? Are you either or both? Do you serve under anyone? Is there a monkey?

Pretty much everything.

I know the whole world loves Skyrim and Witcher 3, but I couldn't get into either no matter how much I tried. The story of Witcher didn't grab me, and the control mechanics of Skyrim turn me off no matter how much I alter them.

So tell me what you can everyone. I know @StaceyPowers has talked about it a lot. Or was that Daemon Souls? As an irrelevant point, I have Daemon Souls too.

I say you should just hook up the system and try it since you already have a couple of the games. I've never played, but from everything I've heard is that the lore is awesome, something you probably would love, but the gameplay is hard. One of those frustrating games. Bloodborne is supposedly like it in lore and gameplay, which I've played. Bloodborne is awesome, but very difficult so I stopped. I don't see the point fighting the same thing a 100 times to finally progress when I can play joyful games. That's my sense. But if you have the patience, you would love the lore. 

EXTREMELY difficult game which would even manage to piss a monk off if they tried playing it long enough. You can't underestimate ANY opponent you cross paths with or else you'll definitely die. The game CAN'T be paused so no you'll have to be very strategic when playing this game and take breaks when you manage to save. That being said, if you love overly difficult games then this one is for you.

This sounds like one of those games that was designed to NOT be beaten. I already have some of those, and they set me off to a point that I get physically sick. So for now, I'm thinking that it sounds like I should avoid this game. For at least my physical health if for no other reason.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, The Blackangel said:

This sounds like one of those games that was designed to NOT be beaten. I already have some of those, and they set me off to a point that I get physically sick. So for now, I'm thinking that it sounds like I should avoid this game. For at least my physical health if for no other reason.

It's not unbeatable per say but you have to put a lot of thought into everything you do and take nothing for granted. I've beaten it several times but I've had friends who played it and underestimated the weaker monsters because they were just the "foot soldiers" and he was completely shocked when he kept dying.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:21 AM, Empire said:

Great game! Absolutely fantastic experience with good memories to make. I became addicted to the dark souls trilogy because of this game. I could play it all day. Never dull or boring.

Seriously, you're quite right about Dark Souls never giving you any moment of dull activity because it's always intense to the very end. It's kill or be killed immediately.