Register Now
StaceyPowers

Feelings about video game gore (if any)?

A very very very interesting thing that's been on my mind since playing Layers of Fear 2 is that they didn't even use any gore. They had elements that portrayed gore and gruesome scenes, but never actual blood and guts. They took fear to a whole new level. The artistry in that was damn brilliant. But I am a fan of blood and gore. It adds character to the game. But I have learned that it doesn't need it to instill fear if you are brilliant enough. But all the messier the better. We don't need too many to try and get brilliant. We need the balance of artistic fear and gory fear. 

I don't mind it as long as it's not overdone or feels inorganic within the context of the game's mechanics. I'm not sure what they could possibly hope to achieve from removing it from games. It won't protect kids at all - as a matter of fact, it'll make kids believe that there's no consequences when certain things happen like cutting off your arm for instance.

I don't mind it, but I don't like overly gratuitous gore either. It should be realistic.

And I despise the notion that removing gore suddenly makes violence and killing OK for kids in games. Au contraire, removing the consequences normalizes violence, which is worse than having it in its fully gory glory. It's not about how it is depicted but the context for it.

I don't mind gore or violence in a game, but I do very much prefer it when it has context in the game. Otherwise, it just comes off as juvenile and that dose rub me the wrong way. I'd say the same thing about sex in games, and to be honest, I feel the juvenile problem does show itself more often there. 

On 5/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Patrik said:

I'm like neutral about them, they add some more action to the game and don't really feel disgusting for me (like they are in real life "atleast in videos")

That's why I can't understand why so many people have such a problem with it. I mean, if you get any serious wound, blood is going to come pouring out of said wound. 

On 5/16/2021 at 11:56 PM, StaceyPowers said:

How do you feel about gore in video games? Do you love it, hate it, or don’t care? Personally, in an FPS game, nothing ever feels quite satisfying to me until I see chunks and blood splatter.

Most lovers of shooting games do love blood splatter a lot. I don't know if it's spiritual but it gives one kind of satisfaction I can't really explain. 

3 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

haha-bathing in the blood would be spiritual

Haha, don't be surprised we might get something like that happen in a game or it might have happened already 😂