Register Now
killamch89

Do You Use Video Games As A Coping Mechanism

In my case, this is a bit of an intricate one. I'd say no for the most part because not dealing with a situation using a healthy method may lead to more complications down the road. Using anything as a crutch to avoid confronting/coping with the issue will not make it go away. The only way is to confront it, sometimes with help from a Therapist. That being said, video games do tend to help me calm down at times when I'm nervous about the outcome of something, it takes my mind off of it. Put Your thoughts down below.

I think subconsciously many of us actually do play games as some form of coping mechanism. It could get you away from your spouse, parents; aid in boredom, loneliness; and there is a broad spectrum of emotions we go through on a daily basis where who knows what nerve makes us want to sit down and play whichever game we decide to play. But it wouldn't be a healthy coping mechanism to play games every time your spouse wants you to do the dishes. lol. For me, it definitely fills a void that has been deprived of me such as venturing into cities and villages in beautiful open worlds and immerse in culture and exploration. Maybe I desire to live in another age in another culture. Actually, I do desire that. Well shit...

Entertainment in general is a copeing mechanism, or as it is usually called escapism. So of course I play videogames to get my mind off existential problems and work stuff. 

Of course if you have problems that can be fixed you should work on them, not just try to drown them out.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:46 PM, m76 said:

Entertainment in general is a copeing mechanism, or as it is usually called escapism. So of course I play videogames to get my mind off existential problems and work stuff. 

Of course if you have problems that can be fixed you should work on them, not just try to drown them out.

I totally agree with your sentiments.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:28 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think subconsciously many of us actually do play games as some form of coping mechanism. It could get you away from your spouse, parents; aid in boredom, loneliness; and there is a broad spectrum of emotions we go through on a daily basis where who knows what nerve makes us want to sit down and play whichever game we decide to play. But it wouldn't be a healthy coping mechanism to play games every time your spouse wants you to do the dishes. lol. For me, it definitely fills a void that has been deprived of me such as venturing into cities and villages in beautiful open worlds and immerse in culture and exploration. Maybe I desire to live in another age in another culture. Actually, I do desire that. Well shit...

It does give you the opportunities to live out certain fantasies that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

No way.  When I'm upset or depressed about something I tend to mope around and brood about it until I am able to solve it or just magically feel better eventually.  When I'm in that state, playing video games feels like a total waste for me usually, because I won't be able to experience and enjoy them properly as I would if I was feeling good or normal.

My less unhealthy coping mechanisms tend to involve me doing things I consider to be more mundane and trivial to pass the time.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:46 PM, m76 said:

Exactly, it's what catching fun is all about and does to you when you feel down. Take for instance, there are sometimes I prefer playing physical games to ease off my tension. 

1 hour ago, Steerminator said:

No way.  When I'm upset or depressed about something I tend to mope around and brood about it until I am able to solve it or just magically feel better eventually.  When I'm in that state, playing video games feels like a total waste for me usually, because I won't be able to experience and enjoy them properly as I would if I was feeling good or normal.

My less unhealthy coping mechanisms tend to involve me doing things I consider to be more mundane and trivial to pass the time.

Exactly what I feel. playing games requires a calm mind so that we can experience the fun. If I am tensed and anxious, I would not be able to enjoy the game to the fullest. 

I do understand some people play games to calm down their nervousness, but I personally feel that gaming is something which should give an adrenaline rush. 😁

2 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Exactly what I feel. playing games requires a calm mind so that we can experience the fun. If I am tensed and anxious, I would not be able to enjoy the game to the fullest. 

I do understand some people play games to calm down their nervousness, but I personally feel that gaming is something which should give an adrenaline rush. 😁

Definitely, it works for some people as you should consider individual differences and our preferences. It actually works for me seriously, so I'm a good example.