Register Now
StaceyPowers

Does anyone else dread/worry about not being able to play old games?

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Windows 10 has a compatibility feature. Failing that, there's always emulation.

even if you manage to fix the software side, some old games won't be able to detect modern GPU's at all

17 minutes ago, Patrik said:

even if you manage to fix the software side, some old games won't be able to detect modern GPU's at all

The only game I've had trouble with running on modern hardware was Fallout 3, and that game really is a certifiable nightmare, but I did get their in the end. Like I said, emulation is often the way to make older games work on newer set ups. It's not perfect, but it's often the only way.

Can you give me an example of a game you're struggling with?

Just now, Shagger said:

Can you give me an example of a game you're struggling with?

Soldier of fortune doesn't even want to start, i had no issues running it on an older rig that was running windows xp and had older parts

Hard Truck 1 & 2 refuse to work as well even on a 2009 laptop that i had laying around 

24 minutes ago, Patrik said:

Soldier of fortune doesn't even want to start, i had no issues running it on an older rig that was running windows xp and had older parts

Hard Truck 1 & 2 refuse to work as well even on a 2009 laptop that i had laying around 

Based on what I've been able to dig up online, running the games using compatibility mode may work, so it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it. Are you using digital copies or are you trying to run the game from a disk?

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

Windows 10 has a compatibility feature. Failing that, there's always emulation.

This.  I never worry about old games being unavailable to me.  Emulation is usually my first choice.  And when occasionally there are big technical problems with compatibility/plugins/whatever, my experience has been that you can usually buy old games on SOME console (and I basically always have most of the newest ones) no matter how old they are.  I think if there's some game you want to play, there's almost always some method.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I've wanted to play but haven't been able to:  Wario Land 3D.  Last time I checked, the Virtual Boy emulator still sucks and can't emulate the game with sound, and you can't buy it anywhere I know of (probably due to the uniqueness of the software used to run that game, or something like that.)

Edited by Steerminator

1 minute ago, Steerminator said:

This.  I never worry about old games being unavailable to me.  Emulation is usually my first choice.  And when occasionally there are big problems technical problems with compatibility/plugins/whatever, my experience has been that you can usually buy old games on SOME console (and I basically always have most of the newest ones) no matter how old they are.  I think if there's some game you want to play, there's always some method.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I've wanted to play but haven't been able to:  Wario Land 3D.  Last time I checked, the Virtual Boy emulator still sucks and can't emulate the game with sound, and you can't buy it anywhere I know of (probably due to the uniqueness of the software used to run that game, or something like that.)

Why would you want a Virtual Boy emulator? That like saying "I wish the health inspector would re-open that Deli down the street because I miss the diarrhoea."

Just now, Shagger said:

Why would you want a Virtual Boy emulator? That like saying "I wish the health inspector would re-open that Deli down the street because I miss the diarrhoea."

lol I just want to play that one game.  Its the only game I ever really played for Virtual Boy, but I liked it a lot.  I would expect fans of Mario/Wario games would agree that it was a good game.

12 hours ago, Family sedan said:

If I don't have a working PS2 and PS3 that will suck.  Luckily I live near E Starland.

I swear PS2s are the most unreliable console on the planet.  We've had to buy that damn thing more times than I can count because they stopped working.  I think people should stop buying original PS2 games and just stick to either buying ports/digital copies on PSN, or emulation at this point.

Just now, Shagger said:

Based on what I've been able to dig up online, running the games using compatibility mode may work, so it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it. Are you using digital copies or are you trying to run the game from a disk?

well, this was the first thing i tried to do, after it didn't work, i went trying several patches that i found online and none of them seemed to work, the only one that worked got me playing Doom 3 fine.

I got those games on several DVD's