Register Now
killamch89

AMD Is Bringing Ray Tracing to Samsung Mobile Phones

That's right folks! This is not a drill - AMD just announced it at computex. The mobile phone market has just become a real interesting place - if AMD pulls this off with Samsung, the mobile phone market will be changed forever. What do you guys think of this?

Raytracing calculates what light rays reach the camera by tracing them from the camera backwards to see where the light bounces and deflects before it reaches the camera. The most impressive way to demonstrate raytracing is by building a camera obscura in Minecraft RTX.

If AMD is introducing Ray-tracing alongside exynos, then Samsung Galaxy G might become the goto smartphone. As for the other gaming phones, they might ditch SD for AMD GPU which is only available if exynos is bought.

13 hours ago, Empire said:

Raytracing calculates what light rays reach the camera by tracing them from the camera backwards to see where the light bounces and deflects before it reaches the camera. The most impressive way to demonstrate raytracing is by building a camera obscura in Minecraft RTX.

If AMD is introducing Ray-tracing alongside exynos, then Samsung Galaxy G might become the goto smartphone. As for the other gaming phones, they might ditch SD for AMD GPU which is only available if exynos is bought.

It was a way for Samsung to rain in Qualcomm's dominance on the mobile chip market. The next Samsung Galaxy S phone is going to be absolutely bonkers from the early leaks so far. It'll be a hell of an upgrade on the S21 Ultra.

3 hours ago, Patrik said:

excited to know how it's going to perform like to be honest, it got even better on PC so let's see how it is on phones

To be honest, AMD just launched their version of Ray-Tracing so we haven't really seen it in action yet but if it's anywhere near what Nvidia offers, it'll be a runaway hit.

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, AMD just launched their version of Ray-Tracing so we haven't really seen it in action yet but if it's anywhere near what Nvidia offers, it'll be a runaway hit.

especially that it's open source, which means, everyone can use them, even older Nvidia GPU's user (1050ti etc...), seems like it will work real well in old games

On 6/4/2021 at 6:33 AM, Patrik said:

especially that it's open source, which means, everyone can use them, even older Nvidia GPU's user (1050ti etc...), seems like it will work real well in old games

Yeah, we're all aware of that but I'm saying that we haven't gotten a proper review of it to see it in action. The features sound awesome but until we see it in action, it'll only be hype. I'm not saying don't be excited - I'm just simply saying that we haven't seen it as yet to verify the claims AMD has made.

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Imagine if this would be supported for the raspberry pi level of the devices that would make the tech lot better and accessible. 

would be cool, but we need more powerful raspberry pi's, the current existing ones aren't really promising in terms of performance to be honest and the highest i saw them running was Minecraft, the Java version

True. but the thing is that they may have to try out more powerful games on those CPUs. I assume raspberry pi one would work with small level of graphics and python based setups. I guess java being heavy language and runtime on any CPU, it's not worth it for raspberry pi. 

On 6/6/2021 at 5:47 AM, Patrik said:

would be cool, but we need more powerful raspberry pi's, the current existing ones aren't really promising in terms of performance to be honest and the highest i saw them running was Minecraft, the Java version

Raspberry PI is in it's infant stage so the gains will be gradual - the only issue is can those gains keep up with the rest of the PC market for it to become a viable option in the future.

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Making raspberry pi processors stronger also means the cost is going to be high and they would break oout of the hobby processor league and moved to bigger price segments. 

well, releasing more powerful devices while keeping the current ones won't hurt anyone, the concept is still there and having better product for more price is completely normal