Register Now
killamch89

It's Official folks - Dreamworld MMO the Kickstarter Disaster Has Turned Into A Major Scandal As Unethical Practices Are Exposed

So an Indie mmo called Dreamworld was making the most outlandish of promise - I mean promising the moon and back and if that sounds like a red flag, that's because it's the first sign of a scam. On top of it, when you look at the gameplay trailer, the game was so barebones that it's puzzling that anyone would back this project but then there are some pretty gullible people in this world. In the end, it turned into an absolute shitstorm for the lack of a better word. What are your thoughts on this?

I heard about this from BigfryTV a few days ago. In a way I kinda hate that this is becoming such a hot topic as that is likely going add the the people actually supporting this project even though it's mostly bad publicity.

All the bad things that can happen with a Kickstarter have happened here. Broken promises, a crappy alpha that barely works, lack of original coding, asset flipping, stupidity unattainable goals, lying devs and way more backers and support than it ever deserved.

The thing that really gets me know is them hiring kids as moderators for thier discord. They were basically coerced to do the dirty work of banning people just for asking questions then to ultimately be blamed by the devs for doing so. Basically, hired because they obviously wouldn't know what they're doing, would follow instructions without question to then believe it was thier fault when they were thrown under the bus. It's rotten to the core.

I'd highly recommend Bigfry's YouTube channel to stay informed about shady indie developers like this. Don't fall into the trap.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:18 PM, Shagger said:

I heard about this from BigfryTV a few days ago. In a way I kinda hate that this is becoming such a hot topic as that is likely going add the the people actually supporting this project even though it's mostly bad publicity.

All the bad things that can happen with a Kickstarter have happened here. Broken promises, a crappy alpha that barely works, lack of original coding, asset flipping, stupidity unattainable goals, lying devs and way more backers and support than it ever deserved.

The thing that really gets me know is them hiring kids as moderators for thier discord. They were basically coerced to do the dirty work of banning people just for asking questions then to ultimately be blamed by the devs for doing so. Basically, hired because they obviously wouldn't know what they're doing, would follow instructions without question to then believe it was thier fault when they were thrown under the bus. It's rotten to the core.

I'd highly recommend Bigfry's YouTube channel to stay informed about shady indie developers like this. Don't fall into the trap.

The kids thing really irked me - the fact that they coerced kids into unknowingly being participants in this sham is so abhorrent. They should face criminal charges for the exploitation of children.

I was wondering how long it took until you talked about this one. I absolutely loved the drama around this game before the "alpha" came out and straight up literally everything people suspected was just proven to be true and that kinda killed my interest in it. Like yeah we all knew it would be shit but that was just next level bad and when you're proven right so strongly you just kinda go like "Aight that was fun." and forget the whole thing.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:18 PM, Shagger said:

One thing I don't understand... Why would news about a kickstarter project being a big scam with unethical practices make people WANT to support it??

11 hours ago, Steerminator said:

One thing I don't understand... Why would news about a kickstarter project being a big scam with unethical practices make people WANT to support it??

Because the people in question were manipulated and fooled. Sadly, it happens all the time. When people invest money in these kinds of things, the last thing they want to believe is that they've been conned, so they will then stand with, and even defend, any perspective that would mean they weren't conned no matter how detached from reality it is. I've seen it before with projects like Star Citizen, you wouldn't believe how far the victims of that scam will go to defend it and how deluded they appear.

Edited by Shagger

36 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Because the people in question were manipulated and fooled. Sadly, it happens all the time. When people invest money in these kinds of things, the last thing they want to believe is that they've been conned, so they will then stand with, and even defend, any perspective that would mean they weren't conned no matter how detached from reality it is. I've seen it before with projects like Star Citizen, you wouldn't believe how far the victims of scam will go to defend it and how deluded they appear.

Wow... That's messed up.  And sad.

23 hours ago, Steerminator said:

There are plenty of gullible people out there - it's why pyramid schemes still work till this day although the signs can be seen from a mile away.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:56 AM, killamch89 said:

There are plenty of gullible people out there - it's why pyramid schemes still work till this day although the signs can be seen from a mile away.

Is it gullible or just greed? I'm actually very sure that there's been a good sensitization about how pyramid schemes works but because of greed people still get into it. 

24 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Is it gullible or just greed? I'm actually very sure that there's been a good sensitization about how pyramid schemes works but because of greed people still get into it.

I'd say guiliable because greed makes people take calculative risk. pyramid scheme followers fall for dreams. 

Just now, skyfire said:

I'd say guiliable because greed makes people take calculative risk. pyramid scheme followers fall for dreams. 

I'm not sure I would agree to being greedy and calculative at the same time works well together. 

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, that best explains it perfectly - Gullibility by greed. 

It's somewhat a human response to opportunities but you have to a skeptic to everything that claims to offer potential benefits with no drawbacks/disadvantages.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:12 AM, killamch89 said:

It's somewhat a human response to opportunities but you have to a skeptic to everything that claims to offer potential benefits with no drawbacks/disadvantages.

Seriously, the intense urge to make money easily is a very big challenge that pushes a lot of people into such scams.