Register Now
HolisticStorm

Casual gamer

A hardcore gamer can and does play for fun. A hardcore gamer does not need to know every little detail about the game. A casual gamer can also play for hours on end.

Casual Gamer
Yeah, the bomb has been planted. Its been about 15 seconds or so. I should probably run to safety now. I am sure we won. *runs away like a chicken*

Hardcore Gamer
Beep …………………… Beep ………………… Beep …………….Beep …………. Beep …….. Beep “NOW,” he screams as he takes up his knife and dashes away.

I think its obviously kind of subjective.  There's a whole spectrum of "degrees of enjoyment of/time invested into video games."  But in general, I think that's really what it mostly boils down to:  The higher your level of enjoyment, and the more amount of time you choose to invest in video games, the more hardcore you are.  The less your level of enjoyment and amount of time you invest, the more casual you are (This is all assuming you're doing it for fun and not for some kind of job like being a video game tester). 

With some games I'm a hardcore gamer. With others I'm a casual gamer. It varies from game to game for me. Some I play for hours every day, and others I only play on occasion. Some I rarely play anymore because I have played them so much that I know every last thing about them, and there's no real fun left. Their only purpose for me is to keep my hands busy and eat up time.

21 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I feel like I'm somewhere in between casual and hardcore.

Same, I'm more than a casual gamer but not quite a hardcore gamer (at least, I don't consider myself that). I play plenty of games and I know a lot about them but at the same time, if someone doesn't like a certain game that I regularly play, I'll never really get offended because everyone has different experiences with different games.

Honestly, and with all due respect to @HolisticStorm, I'd rather live in world where this ridiculous definition didn't exist at all. And I'm not just referring to gaming.

Gaming is a hobby, but it's not like all hobbies. With hobbies like fishing or golf, people who take it more seriously are warrant of some extra respect because they have useful knowledge to impart that can only come from experience. Playing video games is pure entertainment, so it just doesn't matter if you're doing for one, three, six, twelve or even more in a day, because someone who dose can't impart knowledge that will help anyone enjoy gaming any more than the already do. Not to mention how little good the "hardcore" it will do them to boast about it in the real world.

I'm oversimplifying it, I know, you quite obviously can learn a hell of a lot of genuinely helpful knowledge from other gamers (otherwise forums like this would have little reason to exist), but that's in reference to stuff like tips, guides, technical troubleshooting etc. What no gamer can teach, no matter how "hardcore" they are, is how to love it more. My aforementioned examples of fishing and golf would be properly shit without knowing what your doing. At least some guidance is necessary, but in gaming how much you enjoy it is defined buy how you feel about that specific game, not gaming itself. A "movie expert" can't teach someone how to love watching movies more, if anything there more likely to ruin it, and it's the same with games. And before anyone says it, recommending games is a different thing. That's still in reference to specifics within the hobby, not advice to enjoy the hobby itself.

The only time I would offer a genuine exception would be on professional gaming (e-sports), because that's a sport. Like any sport that also just happens to exist as a hobby, that is 100% competitive and being the best is all that matters. Anywhere else, the difference between "hardcore" and "casual" only exists in the insecure, self absorbed minds of the people that call themselves "hardcore". Being "hardcore" does not make anyone more, not in gaming, and anyone who thinks otherwise us no better that any arrogant little fanboy I've had the misfortune to meat over the years, a sadly frequent experience.

What's the test to be a gamer? Like games. That is all.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, HolisticStorm said:

What do you think of casual gamers?

What makes someone a casual gamer in your opinion?

I am curious to know your opinions. I have my own opinions on what makes someone a casual gamer, but I would like to hear what you think before I share.

I think anyone who could not do much time and depth for the game and the gaming narratives, is into this category. Mostly people who don't go deep in games are in this. 

22 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I used to get upset when people didn't like stuff I liked, but then I realized that the stuff I like may have some downsides and the question is whether or not you can live with those downsides.  If not you'll pick something else.

So true - the very definition of a gamer is open to interpretation as well as what one person may consider true gaming another may consider casual.