Register Now
The Blackangel

EA Hacked, 780gb of Data Stolen, Including FIFA & Frostbite Source Code, Being Sold For $28 Million

But I have one question though considering EA has extremely old engines and the source code is barely like solo developers game files. Only thing that is new in EAs box is the graphics assets and the AI engine that is for specific games like soccer and cricket. so how come it is that million level value?

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

But I have one question though considering EA has extremely old engines and the source code is barely like solo developers game files. Only thing that is new in EAs box is the graphics assets and the AI engine that is for specific games like soccer and cricket. so how come it is that million level value?

Frostbite has been around a while but unlike Bethesda's Creation engine it's not exactly dated.  It's one of the few things I give EA, or more specifically DICE credit for.  We've seen in games like Battlefield and Battlefront in particular that it is capable of generating amazing visual detail without compromising performance.

Your not wrong though, there's no way it's source code is worth that much to any developer.

17 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Frostbite has been around a while but unlike Bethesda's Creation engine it's not exactly dated.  It's one of the few things I give EA, or more specifically DICE credit for.  We've seen in games like Battlefield and Battlefront in particular that it is capable of generating amazing visual detail without compromising performance.

Your not wrong though, there's no way it's source code is worth that much to any developer.

I agree and the thing is, Frostbite is a notoriously difficult engine to code for - the developers of Anthem can attest to that.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, Crazycrab said:

Yes that plus if it's isolated source code connecting some cloud infrastructure it'd be like broken partial module of game in grand scheme of things too. 

On 6/12/2021 at 3:55 AM, Shagger said:

EA says that no players personal info was leaked, and I believe them, so that's a relief. I am a little concerned that some of thier employees info might be vulnerable' like what happened when CDPR was hacked. Those things aside, I offer them no sympathies. EA are the victims and these hackers are criminals, but I don't really care about those facts because of how badly EA treat thier customers and staff, especially at the studios they control, and I hope this hurts.

I too believe in them. As per the official news it is clear that no personal data of players have been hacked or stolen. 

The hacker that had stolen 780 GB data, comprises mostly sources codes. Normally no other companies can officially use the codes, only can be used for creating cheats. So nothing to worry for normal users.

Edited by Razor1911

I think we will have more and more those kind of hacks as people try to make games on new stuff. Like having everything online gives it's own risks, even tho for example in NBA2k21 it can prevent you from cheating but then again if you are offline you can't access your mycareere player 😞

Just baffles me that a company can make so much money, yet have such poor security measures. Maybe all that money could improve policies and systems, as well as support the ground floor employees who need it. But nah, let's instead have it go to some shady off-shore accounts owned by the executives.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:44 AM, Empire said:

Just baffles me that a company can make so much money, yet have such poor security measures. Maybe all that money could improve policies and systems, as well as support the ground floor employees who need it. But nah, let's instead have it go to some shady off-shore accounts owned by the executives.

They don't care to pay people for security, they just want as much money as they can, it's mostly like with a lot of offline companies at least in my country. It's sometimes like wow you have such a low end website...I know my school got hacked recently by a 5th grade student...so you can imagine.

I think I know many schools around the world had their database damaged and also stolen plenty of times. I recently saw one of the school moving to salesforce and their data has been not getting stolen since then. It's kind of hard to trust the way people learn and manage security. 

On 7/9/2021 at 6:46 AM, Shole said:

They don't care to pay people for security, they just want as much money as they can, it's mostly like with a lot of offline companies at least in my country. It's sometimes like wow you have such a low end website...I know my school got hacked recently by a 5th grade student...so you can imagine.

Most companies only care about profits and don't really pay much attention to security. I've been on the darkweb a couple of times and seen a whole country's government system info being sold and the worst part is, most aren't even aware.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Most companies only care about profits and don't really pay much attention to security. I've been on the darkweb a couple of times and seen a whole country's government system info being sold and the worst part is, most aren't even aware.

I spend more time on the dark web than I do on the surface web. I post on a couple forums down there, and have shopped a little bit. I send it through 4 different towns with a fake name in each one. It's routed through all of them, and when it gets to my town (which is actually the 5th one) I pick it up at the post office. The one thing that entertains all of us is the myth of mystery boxes people supposedly buy on the DW. There is no such thing. We laugh our asses off at the fake videos on YouTube. These idiots are MAKING the boxes themselves to get views. It's pure bunk. A fad that tons of YouTubers jumped on the bandwagon to do.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:07 AM, killamch89 said:

Yeah, it's easy to hack those who pay little for important core parts of their sites 😄