Register Now
m76

What games influenced you as a gamer that you never actually played?

I never actually had a PSX, but seeing Ridge Racer on TV blew my mind at the time, so I wanted that types of games. Thats how I ended up playing Screamer, Destruction Derby and the likes.

Another game I never played was Wing Commander III, all I saw from it was a rolling demo that only had FMV, but it was a life changing moment for me, as it was the first time I've seen FMV on a computer.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They're the same thing - PSX is its codename. On another note, I used to play Ridge Racer and Destruction Derby all the time on the original PlayStation.

Well PSX was the original console that came out in 1994, the PS ONE.is the "slim" version released in 2000.

19 minutes ago, m76 said:

Well PSX was the original console that came out in 1994, the PS ONE.is the "slim" version released in 2000.

I've never heard anyone refer to the original PlayStation as the "PSX".  I got through power of interpretation that the reference was to the original PlayStation but everyone I know has always referred to it as "The original PlayStation", "PlayStation One" or just "PlayStation".  It's even more confusing in the fact the PSX references a specific emulator (for PlayStation and PlayStation 2) and that's part of the reason I even made that connection.

The PlayStation was never referred to as the PSX during its life cycle, even when the new "PS One" came out.  Even now I don't get it.  If I made post taking about "Crash Bandicoot on PlayStation" would you honestly assume I was referring to a game on PlayStation 2, 3, 4 or 5?  Of course not!  If I was I would say PlayStation 2, 3, 4, or 5 in the post!

51 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I've never heard anyone refer to the original PlayStation as the "PSX".  I got through power of interpretation that the reference was to the original PlayStation but everyone I know has always referred to it as "The original PlayStation", "PlayStation One" or just "PlayStation".  It's even more confusing in the fact the PSX references a specific emulator (for PlayStation and PlayStation 2) and that's part of the reason I even made that connection.

The PlayStation was never referred to as the PSX during its life cycle, even when the new "PS One" came out.  Even now I don't get it.  If I made post taking about "Crash Bandicoot on PlayStation" would you honestly assume I was referring to a game on PlayStation 2, 3, 4 or 5?  Of course not!  If I was I would say PlayStation 2, 3, 4, or 5 in the post!

I've been referring to it as the psx since I've known about it, as everybody in my neck of the woods referred to it as the PSX. Maybe it's an European thing.

i don't know why is this so upsetting to you.

7 minutes ago, m76 said:

I've been referring to it as the psx since I've known about it, as everybody in my neck of the woods referred to it as the PSX. Maybe it's an European thing.

i don't know why is this so upsetting to you.

I'm in Europe (UK), and it's not upsetting. It might be down to done some cultural interpretation or localisation identity I'm not aware of.  If in my post I incidentally made look like a bigger deal than it is or I was ignorent of the facts then I apologize.  You call it PSX and I'll still get the idea but it doesn't seem to be the most obvious to reference it my opinion.

Reading back my post it must admit it does come across more aggressive than I intended and for that I do apologize.

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They're the same thing - PSX is its codename. On another note, I used to play Ridge Racer and Destruction Derby all the time on the original PlayStation.

yes but no at the same time actually, PSX is a whole other console that's able to play PS1 & PS2 games and much more, 95% of people think that PS1 is PSX somehow lol

4 minutes ago, Patrik said:

yes but no at the same time actually, PSX is a whole other console that's able to play PS1 & PS2 games and much more, 95% of people think that PS1 is PSX somehow lol

I was I about to ask what the point of this system was when the standard PS2 was backwards compatible, but having watched the vid I kinda get it. The DVR feature and the internal storage are cool and very innovative for the time. It's obviously not all good as the system is apparently unreliable and controller inputs at the back?

13sexi.jpg.543a97b1d02074db0fa91f2b0fa4de65.jpg

15 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I was I about to ask what the point of this system was when the standard PS2 was backwards compatible, but having watched the vid I kinda get it. The DVR feature and the internal storage are cool and very innovative for the time. It's obviously not all good as the system is apparently unreliable and controller inputs at the back?

13sexi.jpg.543a97b1d02074db0fa91f2b0fa4de65.jpg

despite all those fancy things, the console had lot of drawbacks unfortunately such as high temperature and getting faulty most of the times, it looks cool to own but not to game on

On 6/15/2021 at 2:03 AM, m76 said:

I never actually had a PSX, but seeing Ridge Racer on TV blew my mind at the time, so I wanted that types of games. Thats how I ended up playing Screamer, Destruction Derby and the likes.

Another game I never played was Wing Commander III, all I saw from it was a rolling demo that only had FMV, but it was a life changing moment for me, as it was the first time I've seen FMV on a computer.

I had played this game almost ten years back, it makes me nostalgic when I remember the days I played the game. 😊

Now I have PS4, but the excitement of playing that in PSX was something else.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, m76 said:

Practically, PS1 is an upgrade of PSX which most people today don't really know. They are both almost the same thing in my opinion.