Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

What would society be like if the world embraced gaming?

Would people be happier if gaming was in mainstream conversations and everyone of all ages enjoyed a gaming night? Can it unite families and communities? Look at how people gather to movie theaters. Every town has one. But what if there were arcades people go to instead for dates, family night out, and the Friday night talk of the town about what new hit game is out. Think about it for a minute. How do you think your family, friends, peers, community would all change? 

I think it could be very big coming together moment. And if politicians showed an interest in gaming, would their craziness get diluted if they stopped plotting and started gaming? Or would they still accuse the other side of taking your games away? Would they then politicize games? Or would it bring out the inner fun child in them and slowly forget about made up enemies and just play games and shut up? 

I think it could increase community economics if more people got out to have fun in arcades. And I see a hell of a lot more bonding with someone playing a game with them at home instead of a movie. How do you think society would change if everyone embraced gaming? 

maybe this is a thing that will happen surely in the future, considering that old people are engaged in gaming in the modern society as well, after "old people" used to claim that gaming is only for kids

Well, the stigma around gaming has been rapidly changing over the last decade and a half so this may soon be a reality. Personally, I don't think it will change most things about people - they'll still have their malicious, narcissistic and selfish attitudes and if you play any MMOs, it's usually very apparent. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, killamch89 said:

Well, the stigma around gaming has been rapidly changing over the last decade and a half so this may soon be a reality. Personally, I don't think it will change most things about people - they'll still have their malicious, narcissistic and selfish attitudes and if you play any MMOs, it's usually very apparent. 

That is true that there will always be malicious intent. But I think if everyone of all ages spent just an hour playing a game in the evening, I think it would open themselves up to a more playful behavior. That is one hour less of malicious plotting and angry news or social media. Those wondering minds that may be the next mass shooter or hate crime promoter may forget about things in their hour of play. Gaming can take their minds off things. Just that one hour I believe can make a huge difference in people's lives. Even parents and grandparents are grumpy and just mean all the time cause they forgot how to have fun. Go outside and have fun too. Too many people don't even do that. But when you want easy access to fun, then gaming is right there. Co workers can then talk about a cool game, instead of workplace gossip, or how shitty things are at home. I've heard the talk so many times. Just play a game you maggots! lol. It would make the world a happy place to see grandpa beating up grandma in a fighting game. There is a standard to be an adult in society. And that standard is to complain about all the responsibilities and about how much more you gotta do and money you gotta spend than the next person. Shut the fuck up and play...

59 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That is true that there will always be malicious intent. But I think if everyone of all ages spent just an hour playing a game in the evening, I think it would open themselves up to a more playful behavior. That is one hour less of malicious plotting and angry news or social media. Those wondering minds that may be the next mass shooter or hate crime promoter may forget about things in their hour of play. Gaming can take their minds off things. Just that one hour I believe can make a huge difference in people's lives. Even parents and grandparents are grumpy and just mean all the time cause they forgot how to have fun. Go outside and have fun too. Too many people don't even do that. But when you want easy access to fun, then gaming is right there. Co workers can then talk about a cool game, instead of workplace gossip, or how shitty things are at home. I've heard the talk so many times. Just play a game you maggots! lol. It would make the world a happy place to see grandpa beating up grandma in a fighting game. There is a standard to be an adult in society. And that standard is to complain about all the responsibilities and about how much more you gotta do and money you gotta spend than the next person. Shut the fuck up and play...

It's true that maybe disputes could be settled virtually instead of physically possibly saving some people but we've see it many times as well where a beef may start in-game but they decide to make it physical and attack each other over a single game. Gaming can only do so much to ease your issues because you'll still have to confront them once you stop playing so it won't change much.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:15 AM, Family sedan said:

It could actually backfire and there could be a game series that snobs flock to.  Then it's like the lyrics to Subdivisions by Rush, "Be cool, or be cast out."

You'll encounter snobs in almost every other game and trust me, they really get on your nerves.

It can go two ways, those who rage will get wilder, those who are calm and enjoy games will become calmer. The thing that would change the most is kinda too late for it now, and that is the opinion of our parents and grandparents. Today gaming is considered normal, it used to be bad, Satanist, it is still shunned upon but not as much as it used to be. So I guess the only thing that would change is that more people would play games.