Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Are gaming emotions the next best thing?

For generations we have depended on tv for our emotional needs. Do you believe gaming is the closest thing to real life emotions? I believe we bond more with characters as we control their movement and decisions. And we usually play games over a long period of time, compared to a 2 hour movie. A tv series for 8 seasons is pretty comparable in emotional attachment. But does controlling the character make you develop stronger bonds? Everything you go through and explore, is that stronger than a tv character? I do believe an episode or movie on tv keeps you focused on the story and then it ends short and sweet. Games can sometimes linger on as you get sidetracked from the main story. Does that take away from the bonding of your character? Or develop it? And as far as emotions, is gaming the closest thing to real life emotions? 

Just now, Reality vs Adventure said:

Do you believe gaming is the closest thing to real life emotions?

YES!!!

emotional moments (for me) are first priority in games, no matter what their genre is, because they leave an impact on me and make me replay the game later and never forget about it

I can get pretty attached to movie characters, but then again I think Mike and Stu from Twisted 2 rule!  They're Metalheads and I like their Blazer like vehicle far more than the Jeep that Hammaerhead becomes in Twisted 3.  However, I do usually get more attached to movie characters than video game characters.

On 6/15/2021 at 9:49 PM, Family sedan said:

I can get pretty attached to movie characters, but then again I think Mike and Stu from Twisted 2 rule!  They're Metalheads and I like their Blazer like vehicle far more than the Jeep that Hammaerhead becomes in Twisted 3.  However, I do usually get more attached to movie characters than video game characters.

In my case, I tend to be more attached to anime characters than video game characters. That being said, I do like characters like Gray Fox, Solid Snake and Dante and Vergil.

That's a very nice concept. Since we are controlling the character, we get more into this, as long as we play the game.

Specially in real life games like GTA, the characters are compelling because you can do whatever you want to. 😄

For most games yes, it's a bond that sometimes goes beyond that. I mean books and tv are the same, anime as well, games are just a different form of creating something or feeling something about someone from the fantasy realm.

12 hours ago, Shole said:

For most games yes, it's a bond that sometimes goes beyond that. I mean books and tv are the same, anime as well, games are just a different form of creating something or feeling something about someone from the fantasy realm.

Yup. The attachment really rises with time. Specially I am more attached to some game characters like the prince of Persia which I have played extensively. I even get attached to some movie characters like GOT. 

Halo Reach: all the characters you begin to love throughout the campaign start dying one by one until you are the last one left, then you die. I say it can be the next big thing but everyone is so different and doesn't not affect everyone.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:43 AM, Razor1911 said:

Yup. The attachment really rises with time. Specially I am more attached to some game characters like the prince of Persia which I have played extensively. I even get attached to some movie characters like GOT. 

Yeah I get attached to movie characters as well, but anime, men anime gets me deep, games as well, but anime is the nr 1 for now.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:39 AM, Shole said:

Yeah I get attached to movie characters as well, but anime, men anime gets me deep, games as well, but anime is the nr 1 for now.

You mean those deep anime stories? I too love watching them. I recently watched grave of the fireflies. It is about the wrath of war upon humanity,  The story was so touching that I am now thinking to watch it for second time.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:41 PM, Shole said:

Exactly, it's actually how some games are with me especially if it's an addictive one, there is a higher possibility of getting attached to it. Take for instance, Final Fantasy which I'm now very attached to Noctis. 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, Heatman said:

Exactly, it's actually how some games are with me especially if it's an addictive one, there is a higher possibility of getting attached to it. Take for instance, Final Fantasy which I'm now very attached to Noctis. 

I never got into the FF games but do I have a lot of friends who are, well yes, we all have friends who are addicted to it XD

21 minutes ago, Shole said:

I never got into the FF games but do I have a lot of friends who are, well yes, we all have friends who are addicted to it XD

Well, it's actually a very big fact when you are into any video game that you really love and enjoy, you will most likely be addicted to it.