Register Now
JennyorAlice

Next in Nintendo's line of sight?

What do you think Nintendo will come up with next (when it comes to a console)? 

The Switch has already been out for over a year now.  How long do you think it will be before we even see another console from Nintendo?

What would you like to see in the next console?

Yeah, I think Nintendo has been stronger with the handheld consoles than Sony has been with their handhelds and I've always wondered if that has had something to do with why Microsoft hasn't even gotten into making a handheld to begin with.  I think they know that Nintendo is the king when it comes to handhelds.  So, I've kind of been wondering if that was why they made the Switch the way they did with making it a console and a handheld in one?  Maybe Nintendo just knows what they're good at and so that's what they're trying to push.

13 hours ago, JennyorAlice said:

Yeah, I think Nintendo has been stronger with the handheld consoles than Sony has been with their handhelds and I've always wondered if that has had something to do with why Microsoft hasn't even gotten into making a handheld to begin with.  I think they know that Nintendo is the king when it comes to handhelds.  So, I've kind of been wondering if that was why they made the Switch the way they did with making it a console and a handheld in one?  Maybe Nintendo just knows what they're good at and so that's what they're trying to push.

pretty much this, Nintendo rules the handheld market with an iron fist and Sony took everything to stay alive. Anything left over went to the mobile market leaving no hope for Xbox, which MS struggles to keep their console afloat.

They've merged their handheld and console lines, which seemed like a culmination of years of hinting at it. From the Super Game Boy on SNES, to the Transfer Pak on N64, to the GBA-GC link cable and Game Boy Player, to the Wii U gamepad offering a two-screen experience (one in your hand and one on TV), Switch feels like they finally pulled the trigger on combining both experiences.

This is especially true when you look at the way they've been steadily declining in home console sales (except for the Wii which was an outlier) while handheld sales have been more or less steady. At some point, it wasn't going to be worth keeping the home-only consoles afloat and diverting more than half of their resources in that direction. It's much easier to have just one console to focus on.

My theory for the next console is that it will be like the Switch (fully autonomous in handheld mode) but it'll also have some horsepower in the dock as well as data streaming ability to the handheld. This will allow docked games to have added features, but more importantly, it will optionally bring back the Gamepad-style experience of the Wii U. So you could basically pull the handheld out of the dock and still play it right on your TV while having a second screen in your hand for whatever features that may entitle. Then you could walk away at any time and keep playing the game in handheld mode if you so choose. You might lose some added features but the game will still be fully playable on the go.

To me this would be a full culmination of both the Wii U's promise of asymmetric gameplay and the Switch's promise of versatility. If you throw in a sensor bar, it theoretically has all the tools to emulate Nintendo's complete library on Virtual Console as well (other than disabling 3D on 3DS and Virtual Boy games, that is). Sounds like a dream to me.

Pretty sure I read somewhere recently that Sony have ceded the whole handheld market to Nintendo. I think Ninty are in a good spot atm with the Switch gaining significant momentum and some big support coming from major third parties like Bethesda. Hopefully, Ninty still have a few unannounced games up their sleeve going into 2019.

I personally feel that Nintendo have hit a great console and that now they should really aim to make it better rather than trying to make a whole new console! I myself have a Nintendo Switch and I love it. I can either be portable with it or I can sit in my living room and play the game on my TV. It's amazing! I would love to see them improve the switch and release something else, releasing a brand new console close to the last wouldn't make many of their fans very happy I can imagine.

On 12/8/2018 at 3:48 PM, Shortie861 said:

I personally feel that Nintendo have hit a great console and that now they should really aim to make it better rather than trying to make a whole new console! I myself have a Nintendo Switch and I love it. I can either be portable with it or I can sit in my living room and play the game on my TV. It's amazing! I would love to see them improve the switch and release something else, releasing a brand new console close to the last wouldn't make many of their fans very happy I can imagine.

I agree with your post. They should concentrate their energy on making the Switch the ultimate console rather than trying to release a new console because they would have to work even harder to convince people on why they should give up their Nintendo Switch devices.