Register Now
killamch89

What would be the consequences of a scientific discovery that extended the life span of humans to 500 years?

There'd be a clash of ideology - new vs old and due to the fact that the older people likely would have the strength to fight, they'd probably try to hang on to power for the rest of their lives. The corruption would be more rampant because the corrupt ones would stay in power far longer damaging the society. What do you think will be the consequences?

There would be hell of a lot more carelessness in the food we produce and package. Less care about environmental pollutants, things in our food supply, water, and air. Talent and skill will be way too competitive. Competition is good, but people will take on multiple trades and skills, so the job market will get overburdened. The young people won't be able to work except cleaning toilets because how can they compete with someone 300-400 years old? There might be a boost in the athletic department because living longer doesn't mean you will always be athletically strong. So the first 100 years people won't have a choice but sports to make a living. Bad feuds will never go away. Mad scientists will be madder. Increased suicide rate. You can build your own personal army with all the family members you accumulate. It would be a maddening place with no real peace. Even nuns and monks will sow their seeds eventually. You can't die a 500 year old virgin. Even peak enlightenment will give way to insanity. 

17 hours ago, Steerminator said:

Maybe Soylent Green would happen ;D

Nope - I'm definitely not having that mate. I need meat, gravy and stuff like that - there's no way I'm having any of those Soybean products. I'd much rather eat fruits instead.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Nope - I'm definitely not having that mate. I need meat, gravy and stuff like that - there's no way I'm having any of those Soybean products. I'd much rather eat fruits instead.

Not soybean, soylent. Soylent is stuff made out of human meat.

54 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Not soybean, soylent. Soylent is stuff made out of human meat.

Oh you mean Soylent from the movie Soylent Green. I thought you guys meant the meal replacement drink of the same name that's made from Soy and Lentils.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:47 AM, Steerminator said:

Yes, I meant the actual plot in that movie might become reality.  Semi joking, of course, but who really knows

I've found that things that I used to exaggerate about in a worst-case scenario as a kid is actually happening right in front of our eyes so I've also learned not to take anything for granted.