Register Now
killamch89

What was the biggest mistake in history?

Social Media - it's created some of the dumbest, most narcissistic, attention-seeking individuals on this planet and has made this generation absolutely toxic and it shows no signs of slowing down. In your opinion, what was the biggest mistake in history?

There are places in the world where social media has helped put the spotlight on humanitarian issues. And especially in times of immediate crisis when you have to communicate fast with pics and videos before government shuts it all down. We need social media, but everything used for good is also used for bad. It can save lives, but can also be the medium to start civil unrest. There is a reason why rogue governments always attack social media when they are out to suppress people. We have already been getting a taste of that in the free world. It is scary to think that the only thing stopping major social media platforms from becoming a regime tool is in the hands of only a few individuals that can change whatever rules at any time. But that will inevitably cause people to drop its use and cause them to tank. But humanity will not survive without social media. We will be completely blind to what goes on in the world. 

The creation of religion. Argue if you want, but nothing else in human history has caused as much pain, misery, and murder as religion. Things like the crusades, Spanish Inquisition, Holocaust, and Salem witch trials are just a few of the more well known instances. And this shit is still going on today, in a worldwide scale for so-called "blasphemy". There will never be a meeting of what I refer to as the "Big 3" (Islam, Judaism, Xtianity) that doesn't end up in a fight of some kind. Blood will be shed, and a life will e lost. It just depends on who strikes first.

Religion is nothing less than a disease. Worshiping a general deity is fine. Being a specific religion is the problem.

13 hours ago, m76 said:

Starting world war I. It also directly resulted in WWII. If everyone were just able to sit on their asses, but no. There is always someone iching for war.

Those nuclear bombs were absolute overkill. I'll admit that much - and they have the nerve to say they're heroes when it was mainly the innocent that suffered irregardless of nationality.

I think the overuse of antibiotics is a very huge mistake because we are creating super resistant microorganisms that could wipe us out. Not only humans have risk of getting wiped out, but the fungicides on foods used by Monsanto and controlling the seed stock and genetically modifying everything is also a disaster waiting to happen as any disease can wipe out whole entire crops as plants don't develop genetic variation or even produce fertile seeds. You know those seedless fruits? Yep, have fun trying to start the world over with no fertile seeds. Even ones that still produce fertile seeds are still genetically modified and vulnerable to disease and those seeds get carried by the wind and contaminate other organic crops. It's mass starvation waiting to happen or incurable disease from resistant microorganisms.  

What monsanto is allowed to do in the US is not just greedy, but reckless, as typical for humans to prioritize short term gains over long term survival.

Another similar mistake is cryptocurrency mining. Imagine everyone sitting at home using electricity to produce virtual money. They aren't just non contributors to society, they are actively destroying the economy and the planet at the same time. It is mind boggling.

21 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think the overuse of antibiotics is a very huge mistake because we are creating super resistant microorganisms that could wipe us out. Not only humans have risk of getting wiped out, but the fungicides on foods used by Monsanto and controlling the seed stock and genetically modifying everything is also a disaster waiting to happen as any disease can wipe out whole entire crops as plants don't develop genetic variation or even produce fertile seeds. You know those seedless fruits? Yep, have fun trying to start the world over with no fertile seeds. Even ones that still produce fertile seeds are still genetically modified and vulnerable to disease and those seeds get carried by the wind and contaminate other organic crops. It's mass starvation waiting to happen or incurable disease from resistant microorganisms.  

Gonorrhea and various other bacteria and virus are starting to show resistance to antibiotics creating super strains of various diseases. I used to joke about super gonorrhea happening in the future but the joke is definitely on me.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Gonorrhea and various other bacteria and virus are starting to show resistance to antibiotics creating super strains of various diseases. I used to joke about super gonorrhea happening in the future but the joke is definitely on me.

Before much longer, everything will be antibiotic resistant. Penicillin was a wonderful discovery that saved millions of lives. But with how diseases and infections are going, penicillin is all but useless anymore. I've done 3 rounds of antibiotics for the situation in my armpit, none of which had any effect. Illness of every type and shape are laughing at antibiotics now.

54 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Before much longer, everything will be antibiotic resistant. Penicillin was a wonderful discovery that saved millions of lives. But with how diseases and infections are going, penicillin is all but useless anymore. I've done 3 rounds of antibiotics for the situation in my armpit, none of which had any effect. Illness of every type and shape are laughing at antibiotics now.

I've been using natural remedies and have managed to stay practically illness-free for the past 9 years. I've had two near-death experiences where modern medicine nearly killed me and that's why I don't use it.