Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Five Nights At Freddy's creator gets backlash for donating to trump/republicans and retires

As consumers, we have the right to know where money goes in things we purchase and that includes the gaming department. Scott Cawthon is now retiring and good for him. He had a good career, and states he doesn't care if he gets 'cancelled'; you know that whole cancel culture talking point thingy. But it has come to light that he has been supporting trump, mcconnell, and others during these anti-democracy times. So I am thankful for the awareness and as mindful consumers we now can make decisions whether or not to support the game in good or guilty conscious. I thought about getting the game at one point and that's why I brought it up. I'm part of the gaming community now, and as a supporter of democracy I feel other like minded people should know. 

I get why people were mad at him. Knowing that he was such a big donator to republican politicians and policy as well as holding stereotypical "Christian" views on certain things makes me relived that I never bought 5NAF, and I never will. He says he supports equal rights for woman, yet he thinks he has the right to tell woman you can't have an abortion, what they are  and are not allowed to do with thier own bodies. He says he doesn't discriminate based on gender, gender identity or sexual orientation, yet financially supports politicians that are trying to put into law more anti-LGBTQAI+ bills and polices than any government in the US has every seen. He's a liar. The kind of liar that's lying to themselves. I do admire him for sticking to his beliefs and refusing to apologise for them, but I don't think he fully understands the harm the causes he supports actually does to people, and I don't think he want's to understand. I don't like him.

However, does he deserve to be "cancelled"? No. He has his views and every right to them whether you like them. People can disagree with him, question him or even call him out, but he does not deserve to be threatened, especially his family. Being attacked and doxed is something he wholeheartedly does NOT deserve it. That is way worse is way worse that anything he has ever done. That is out of order and that kind of behaviour should be condemned by everyone.

For full context, here is his "retiring" post on Reddit

And a summery of the whole story from Gamesindustry.biz

Edited by Shagger

16 minutes ago, Shagger said:

However, does he deserve to be "cancelled"? No. He has his views and every right to them whether you like them. People can disagree with him, question him or even call him out, but he does not deserve to be threatened, especially his family. Being attacked and doxed is something he wholeheartedly does NOT deserve it. That is way worse is way worse that anything he has ever done. That is out of order and that kind of behavior should be condemned by everyone.

I have to disagree. One of my personal tenets is that you defend yourself viciously and without mercy. If that includes doxing him, and putting both him and his family at risk due to him attacking my community, then so be it.

21 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I have to disagree. One of my personal tenets is that you defend yourself viciously and without mercy. If that includes doxing him, and putting both him and his family at risk due to him attacking my community, then so be it.

I can see where you are coming from because financially supporting a cause that is a threat to another's livelihood in any way should receive some kind of backlash, but not threats or violence. The strongest thing is consumer awareness. As soon as a company or head of a company donates to politicians, then it should be made public immediately for consumer awareness. There should be a real program for this.

And that is not cancel culture because people have been boycotting forever now. It's a right to know and make decisions what product you spend your money on. And that freedom to spend money how you want is not the same as spending political money where you support things that can affect other people's lives. So if you are brazen enough to donate to politicians, it should immediately be made public. If their political stance is more important than their business, then face the backlash. It goes both ways, not just for one side. 

I don't think conservatives should buy only conservative products or liberals buy only liberal products. But to prevent us from going down that road, we need to get money out of politics. If they want to give money to a politician, let us know so we can have consumer awareness. Consumers have rights. We have the right to know what is in our food, how it is grown, where your money goes if you buy something, know if animals are abused in making products, labor abuse, etc. Those are our rights as consumers and to make buying decisions based on that. And fuck anyone who thinks we have the right to know if animals were tortured in making a product, and not have the right to know about donations going to a cause like supporting election lies and voting suppression. 

We have to make companies fear the consequences of where they donate money. That is the beginning stage that consumers can do to get money out of politics. Because nobody is going to pass a law to ban it. The teet yankers want every drop of milk. 

And this is what Scott Cawthon said "If people think I'm doing more harm than good now, then maybe it's better that I get cancelled and retire. I would accept that." 

Even he agrees. But we need a clear distinction between republican propaganda of cancel culture and consumer rights of boycotting. If a person feels threatened or feel life or the environment is threatened through the purchase of a product, then that leads to a boycott. Cancel culture is literally voting suppression and systemic racism.