Register Now
killamch89

Does the study of philosophy ever lead to answers or simply more questions?

It gives you a basic principle to follow; not really any conclusions, but a principle. You could run experiments on some things, but most of the time experiments will end up being inhumane to test. Such as trying to understand the intelligence of animals, and what suffering they endure. The same goes for humans. There is usually a key ingredient in philosophy; It is: what causes the most or least suffering. 

You are starting whit a wrong premise. You are not seeking an absolute answer, you are trying to absorb and understand more than your point of view, changing your own idea (maybe) in the process. I like to think philosophy it's like evolution, always changing with time and it's the process of studying it that enlight you, not read an answer from other people.

9 hours ago, Empire said:

You are starting whit a wrong premise. You are not seeking an absolute answer, you are trying to absorb and understand more than your point of view, changing your own idea (maybe) in the process. I like to think philosophy it's like evolution, always changing with time and it's the process of studying it that enlight you, not read an answer from other people.

I mean look at the definition:  "the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence." No one is ever going to know everything about life, because there are an infinite number of things to learn.  But the more you learn, or come to understand, about the world in a philosophical sense, the better off you're likely to be.

15 hours ago, Steerminator said:

I mean look at the definition:  "the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence." No one is ever going to know everything about life, because there are an infinite number of things to learn.  But the more you learn, or come to understand, about the world in a philosophical sense, the better off you're likely to be.

Very well said.

On 7/8/2021 at 2:15 PM, Steerminator said:

I like this answer...