Register Now
StaceyPowers

Comparing ethical choices in games

My brother is playing DA Origins for the first time. Like me, he tries to make ethical choices in video games. So, it is hilarious watching him make almost completely opposite choices/assumptions as me.

It seems like watching how two players tackle the same scenarios in a game sheds interesting light on what divides their personal ethical systems.

That's the reason I don't like watching other people play. It drives me crazy when they do the exact opposite of what I'd do. Or when they don't realize something and keep doing something wrong, not even morally, just a game mechanic or feature.

Sometimes, I enjoy seeing a different take on the same situation in a game from my own. It's the reason I watch so many gaming videos on YouTube. But sometimes I have it in my head that the way I do it is better, and that kind of entitlement is hard to break. For example, my go-to gun in RDR2 is the Springfield rifle. To me, it's the best gun in the game. But I know there are people who would say that a repeater (Evans, Lancaster, Carbine, Litchfield) is the best. I personally hate the repeaters because they're so damn weak. Sure they typically have a faster fire rate, but it often takes 4-5 shots to kill an enemy or big game animal. The rifles are a lot stronger. And the Springfield has a fast enough fire rate that it's comparable to any repeater.

14 hours ago, m76 said:

That's the reason I don't like watching other people play. It drives me crazy when they do the exact opposite of what I'd do. Or when they don't realize something and keep doing something wrong, not even morally, just a game mechanic or feature.

And that's the same reason, why I like to watch live streams. Sometimes making ethical decisions in games makes it more interesting to watch.

If you would be taking that same decision, then watching that same will make you bore. Better you should play yourself then. 😄

Edited by Razor1911

Yeah, it's sort of like certain games where you can choose to go the evil route or be good. So I know what you mean by that.

For example in elder scrolls I usually choose not to rob people or be a pit pocket though my friend does it all the time. I notice it when I'm playing online with someone what they usually tend to choose.

23 hours ago, m76 said:

LOL, Duh. That's the exact point. I'd rather play games than watch someone else play them.

Lol. 😆 The main beauty of those live streams is when those gamers take  ethical and unexpected selection, and then blend it with funny yet sarcastic dialogues. That is something engages me for those funny live streams.

Not necessarily.  I'm a really big fan of roleplaying in games, so If a game has many different paths that you can take depending on your choices, and also depending on the complexity of the system, I will often play through a game multiple times trying to roleplay as a different kind of person.  Like, once be a pure hero, another time be a pure villain, other times be more neutral, and variations of those.

4 hours ago, Steerminator said:

Not necessarily.  I'm a really big fan of roleplaying in games, so If a game has many different paths that you can take depending on your choices, and also depending on the complexity of the system, I will often play through a game multiple times trying to roleplay as a different kind of person.  Like, once be a pure hero, another time be a pure villain, other times be more neutral, and variations of those.

You mean playing the same episode 4-5 times over again?

I don't think I have the patience for this. Once game is finished, my adrenalin gets back to my gland. It's the first time only I can have that excitement.

Afterall, the choices you make the first time, defines your personality, POV and decision making ability.

3 hours ago, Shole said:

I always start out trying to do the morally right thing, but if I get angry it is usually kill everyone mentality lol

OMG. I wish you don't get caught in a real life GTA V, like in the movie "Jumanji". 

Kill everyone, but atleast spare me then, we can complete all missions together. Right mate? 😆

5 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

OMG. I wish you don't get caught in a real life GTA V, like in the movie "Jumanji". 

Kill everyone, but atleast spare me then, we can complete all missions together. Right mate? 😆

Sometimes it means death to all, usually it doesn't but sometimes...

On 7/1/2021 at 2:26 PM, Shagger said:

I'm with @StaceyPowers on this one. I actually quite enjoy watching other people reactions to such scenarios and understanding how and why they came to the conclusions they did.

Exatly.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:22 PM, m76 said:

I can relate to this too. Like, if someone is managing their resources inefficiently, it is so hard not to be a backseat driver and pester them about it.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:20 AM, Shole said:

I always start out trying to do the morally right thing, but if I get angry it is usually kill everyone mentality lol

This is very me.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Exatly.

I can relate to this too. Like, if someone is managing their resources inefficiently, it is so hard not to be a backseat driver and pester them about it.

This is very me.

Lol. I'll give an example too, started out RimWorld, was all fine and dandy, got a farm going a few animals, had enough food for everyone, boom some events change the whole freaking game, now my favorite character is dead and I went god mod and killed everything that was the enemy, then it was back to peaceful.

Edited by Shole