Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why are there no see-through windows in Bethesda games?

On 6/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Why are windows in ES and Fallout games opaque? I guess it is because the buildings load as separate zones, but would it really be that hard to make them part of the zone around them?

It seems that the creation engine can only load in one area at a time.  Probably because loading in the entire open world with every interior and exterior location would take up far to much memory or might just a limitation of the engine itself.  So anytime you're indoors or even in a town it's a different data package to the rest of the open world.  So if you for example are playing Skyrim and you go through the doors of Solitude the game wipes the exterior world from memory and loads in Solitude in it's place.  Then if you go into the Winking Skeever it wipes Solitude from the memory and loads the internal of the Winking Skeever in its place.

There are some engine's (like Ubisoft's Anvil; Assassin's Creed) that can load internal and external areas at once hence you can look outside through a window or an open door but Bethesda's dated software just doesn't seem to work that way.  I've said it time and time again that Bethesda need something new.  Since Microsoft bought them they could probably use 343's much newer Slipspace, but they seem to stubbornly sticking with what they've got.

Edited by Crazycrab

Whilst I think @Crazycrab is at least partially right, the Creation engine can be made programmed to do more than that. In Morrowind, the cities were naturally a part of the open world, so you could go in and out of them without loading screens, but granted that is a much older game. Skyrim can also do the same thing thing with the help of The Open Cities Mod, but could obviously be troublesome if the hardware isn't up to snuff. So I do think that Bethesda do this to help the game run smoother of this aging engine and of the kind of hardware that was around at the time of launch, but it may still be more capable than even Bethesda think.

Edited by Shagger

On 7/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, Shagger said:

Whilst I think @Crazycrab is at least partially right, the Creation engine can be made programmed to do more than that. In Morrowind, the cities were naturally a part of the open world, so you could go in and out of them without loading screens, but granted that is a much older game. Skyrim can also do the same thing thing with the help of The Open Cities Mod, but could obviously be troublesome if the hardware isn't up to snuff. So I do think that Bethesda do this to help the game run smoother of this aging engine and of the kind of hardware that was around at the time of launch, but it may still be more capable than even Bethesda think.

I think the loading screens are due to trying to get a bigger range of players and make more money. I'd preferr an loading screen a few years ago, but now that I have a good gaming laptop, it's kinda annoying.

4 hours ago, Shole said:

I think the loading screens are due to trying to get a bigger range of players and make more money. I'd preferr an loading screen a few years ago, but now that I have a good gaming laptop, it's kinda annoying.

There's not really any direct monetary incentive to having loading screens,  outside of the normal practice of releasing the game on PC and consoles. The PS3 and XBox 360 were the home consoles at the time and they would certainly not be cable of loading the entirety of Skyrim at once.  Then even if the PS4 and XBox One could the game was already designed the way it was on 2011.

45 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

There's not really any direct monetary incentive to having loading screens,  outside of the normal practice of releasing the game on PC and consoles. The PS3 and XBox 360 were the home consoles at the time and they would certainly not be cable of loading the entirety of Skyrim at once.  Then even if the PS4 and XBox One could the game was already designed the way it was on 2011.

I meant more of like getting people with certain budget limits. For example, my pc costs 1800 euros, let

s say 2k $, that's 3-10 salaries in Serbia sometimes, so it is quite expensive. But well you are right that it might not be so influential when it comes to money.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Why are windows in ES and Fallout games opaque? I guess it is because the buildings load as separate zones, but would it really be that hard to make them part of the zone around them?

Seriously, the developers or producers really need to be questioned with lots of criticism in order to show them their flaws.