Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Are game developers architects?

As I look at all the buildings, bridges, homes, militarized mechanisms, ships and docks, etc., I am mesmerized by all the detail and realism. It's more than just art and design. Because if you look at some of the structures, it looks the way it's supposed to look right? And if you go under or inside a structure, you can see where certain beams and supports could actually be the same in the real world. If you think about it, they probably follow the same formula an actual architect would use in their computer programs. Could a video game designer actually make a real blueprint for a structure? Or can an architect make video games? For their computer design, is it possible that game developers use similar programs as architects? 

As someone who works in an engineering field, my short answer to the question "Are game developers architects?" is no.

I think what's closer to the truth is that video game designers are good at drawing influence from real life. Most buildings and structures you see games are based on and/or inspired by something real that likely hasn't fallen over or broken itself. So the fact that buildings, structures and machines in games generally appear sound in concept from a real-life engineering perspective is less to do with a game designers understanding of engineering, more thier ability to mimic it.

An Architect probably could cross train or consult with game designers when designing in game structures and they probably do, but it's not the same.  A building that an Architect designs comes under much heavier scrutiny then a video game asset because it has to exist in the real world.  They have to consider the utilitys like electricity and water, materials, budget, the environment and a bunch of other factors that usually don't matter in a game.

On a technicality - no. However, what I will say is that certain aspects of architecture such as 3-D models for buildings and other stuff does overlap with the architecture. If you mean in terms of video game Architects - then yes.

Architects know all about designing buildings for the real world. They know about making buildings functional, about material strengths, building to withstand earthquakes, real structural engineering. Video games aren't the real world. Video game levels don't have the same kind of constraints. More than anything, the most important function they serve is the game play.

Knowing about architecture is a good for a level designer, but a lot of knowledge of a real architect is extraneous.

It's funny actually. Games are supposed to be realistic, but actually it just plays with our senses. Like, when you shoot a bullet, the speed is controlled by the game, in real world it might be more or less, But while in game it looks realistic. Isn't it?

Same way when you say about buildings, they might seem realistic in the game, but it may not sustain at all when you apply real world physics on it. 😆

It turns out that some game developers actually have hired architects and you can even see architect names in the credits. The architect still has to learn new things in game developing though, but their skills is still useful. Plus, an architect being knowledgable in all the programs in regular architecture and gaming architecture, can help the gaming industry create better programs. I don't know all the details, but the programs architects use are much more detailed and runs slower while the programs 3D modeling uses in games has to be run at higher speeds. So I think integrating those technologies can really beef up the gaming industry with the creation of new programs that an architect can bring to the table; or a 3D artist can learn architectural programs and integrate that in gaming and possibly get ideas of more advanced programs. So I don't know which is better. And you would think hiring architects would cost more money, so that could be an issue. 

I found some of these comments interesting to read: https://www.quora.com/Can-an-architect-be-involved-in-the-gaming-industry-as-a-level-designer-or-even-just-as-a-landscape-and-building-designer

Developers maybe not but 3D modelers probably could. I mean after all the design the models and need to make it as realistic as possible so I am sure they look at some plans or some buildings to make a copy in their preferred software 😄

This is from TLOU2, how they designed the wrecked building structures. I think it's pretty remarkable the detail involved. I don't know how accurate it is, but if they are showing it off in this art, then it's probably based on real cross sections. Looks real to me. Game architects=10 points. None believers=0 points

911854336_TheLastofUsPartII_20210812210000.thumb.jpg.528e0e6f84852d004879ff000e57023d.jpg

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Game architects=10 points. None believers=0 points

911854336_TheLastofUsPartII_20210812210000.thumb.jpg.528e0e6f84852d004879ff000e57023d.jpg

That's the part of the write up that hit a laughing nerve in me. Like seriously mate, you have good sense of humor. But in all honesty, it looks quite real enough.