Register Now
skyfire

Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10

The CPU overheating issue that this configuration has is a prime example as to why it’s so important for buyers to understand how PC computing actually works. An AMD Ryzen 3900X and beyond needs a lot of cooling when under heavy work load with how many cores and threads it has as compared to what intel offers for the majority of consumers. Although it can be done through air cooling, AMD themselves recommends water cooling their high end Ryzen CPUs in order to avoid thermal throttling and maintain excellent performance when doing heavy CPU tasks

1 hour ago, Empire said:

The CPU overheating issue that this configuration has is a prime example as to why it’s so important for buyers to understand how PC computing actually works. An AMD Ryzen 3900X and beyond needs a lot of cooling when under heavy work load with how many cores and threads it has as compared to what intel offers for the majority of consumers. Although it can be done through air cooling, AMD themselves recommends water cooling their high end Ryzen CPUs in order to avoid thermal throttling and maintain excellent performance when doing heavy CPU tasks

For a pre-built PC or laptop, I don't think it would be unreasonable for the customer to expect the manufacture (in this case Alienware/Dell) to have taken care of all that. People shouldn't overclock or alter the hardware unless they know what they're doing, but by just using a pre-built PC for the purpose it was designed for to then have it suffer from cooling issues, that blame falls on the manufacturer, not the person using it.

OC will make more heat that most people should be aware off, and YEAH. If you do not know what you are doing then PLEASE leave it be.  End of the day by overclocking your system just makes games not to work as some games doesn't like it 😞 

I had to roll-back my GPU to normal since MSFS2020 didn't like it 😞 

On 7/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, Shagger said:

For a pre-built PC or laptop, I don't think it would be unreasonable for the customer to expect the manufacture (in this case Alienware/Dell) to have taken care of all that. People shouldn't overclock or alter the hardware unless they know what they're doing, but by just using a pre-built PC for the purpose it was designed for to then have it suffer from cooling issues, that blame falls on the manufacturer, not the person using it.

I totally agree. That's the primary reason why most people buy a pre-built system instead of building one themselves - the manufacturer is supposed to address all cooling/other technical issues with the customer getting a product that works right out of the box without any user input needed to make it function effectively. This is one of the main reasons I'll never buy anything at all from Alienware - their products are always overpriced and comes with a ton of issues.

I think for laptop especially making your own and even to some customizing is not easy. A lot of times those sites limit you on how to customize and design. I have seen this especially in case of lenovo and dell. 

On 7/16/2021 at 1:31 AM, skyfire said:

I think for laptop especially making your own and even to some customizing is not easy. A lot of times those sites limit you on how to customize and design. I have seen this especially in case of lenovo and dell. 

One of the best companies for custom gaming laptops is Eluktronics - their laptops and PCs offer the best range of customization and they typically have way better battery life than their mainstream counterparts.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:53 AM, skyfire said:

I have not much experience with their laptops though. I  may have to see some day the next time I get my hands on new laptops. 

Eluktronics are definitely an underrated brand but they do listen to customer feedback so their products are always top-notch.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:18 AM, skyfire said:

Yeah I would say 2022 update would be better considering a lot of semiconductor and the maker issues in china would be resolved by the end of the year. 

That's what they said would happen earlier this year though...I've learned not go after brand new tech in this climate because they're always way above MSRP.