Register Now
killamch89

Sony Slammed By PlayStation Indie Devs Over Awful Policies, Ridiculous Fees, & Poor Communication

Well this information was first made public to us during the Epic vs Apple fiasco earlier this year but now the voices have grown since then. I'm not surprised and more devs need to out PS for their greed. What do you think about this?

There's that Sony arrogance again. And they really can't even justify it with them being such a rinky dink operation. I have a feeling Xbox is gonna overtake it again, they already have the higher teraflops and Game Pass love and crossplay and not so much censorship. If devs are even making more money from there, it's over for the PS5.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:51 AM, Shole said:

That's why PC has so many indie games that the console market losses out on, but then again so many bad indie games is not that good for the market.

There are plenty of indie games for Xbox - it's Sony who's being very arrogant.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:17 AM, Empire said:

There's that Sony arrogance again. And they really can't even justify it with them being such a rinky dink operation. I have a feeling Xbox is gonna overtake it again, they already have the higher teraflops and Game Pass love and crossplay and not so much censorship. If devs are even making more money from there, it's over for the PS5.

Xbox is really starting to dominate the space and Sony will realize this all too late and with with Xbox gamepass, it'll be hard for Sony to compete with their catalog of games.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:25 AM, killamch89 said:

There are plenty of indie games for Xbox - it's Sony who's being very arrogant.

Xbox is really starting to dominate the space and Sony will realize this all too late and with with Xbox gamepass, it'll be hard for Sony to compete with their catalog of games.

Yeah Sony was always doing that so no surprise there. Not sure about Nintendo, but I guess they are in a similar story. I know iOS store has a lot of requests for their creators.

4 hours ago, Shole said:

Yeah Sony was always doing that so no surprise there. Not sure about Nintendo, but I guess they are in a similar story. I know iOS store has a lot of requests for their creators.

According to what I've seen and read, Nintendo with the switch has been very desirable for indie devs. Fair commission and QC policies have led some indie devs to say they prefer the Switch to steam in the past. That's not say much though as Steam's open door policy and complete lack of quality control makes it very difficult for genuine indie devs from getting much out of the platform.

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

According to what I've seen and read, Nintendo with the switch has been very desirable for indie devs. Fair commission and QC policies have led some indie devs to say they prefer the Switch to steam in the past. That's not say much though as Steam's open door policy and complete lack of quality control makes it very difficult for genuine indie devs from getting much out of the platform.

The Rocket League developers have been pointing out for years that it's way easier to work with Nintendo and Xbox than Sony because they communicate better and don't charge ridiculous fees. I remembered when they tried to make crossplay possible and Sony game them hell at first. It's only due to the popularity that Rocket League had achieved prior to that make them change their tune. On another note, I did want Epic to compete with Steam but not in the manner they're going about it currently as I don't believe any company should have a monopoly in an industry. However, even after the billions of dollars profit that they've got, Epic's platform is still so lackluster.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:48 AM, skyfire said:

Development on the switch is also easy for most developers as they have SDK easy to deploy and also the small price piles up too. 

It's nowhere near what Sony charges compared to other platforms though.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, skyfire said:

Yeah that is true but on the development side the developers are increasing for the switch because of it's ease of making games for their platform. 

Most of us are very aware of that and in addition to that, the Switch has a larger player base than even the PlayStation.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Sony to enact positive changes because of these indy devs calling them out. More than likely, Sony is instead going to concentrate on finding out who spoke out about this and do everything in their power to destroy them.