Register Now
killamch89

What odd talent do you have?

Well, I'm not sure if it's a talent or an ability but for some reason, animals love putting their heads under my hand for me to pet them and then they just start following me around. I still can't figure out what causes that but I definitely know I inherited it from my father. What odd talent do you have?

I calm people down.

I used to be a substitute teacher (mostly for high school) and I constantly had students say they loved it when I subbed for their classes because I kept them calm. I'm not even sure how I do it really. Maybe I give off good vibes?

7 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I calm people down.

I used to be a substitute teacher (mostly for high school) and I constantly had students say they loved it when I subbed for their classes because I kept them calm. I'm not even sure how I do it really. Maybe I give off good vibes?

I'm not going to lie, teaching teenagers nowadays is pretty tough - how do you do it? I come from a family of teachers but I myself has never had that kind of patience - what do you like about it?

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'm not going to lie, teaching teenagers nowadays is pretty tough - how do you do it? I come from a family of teachers but I myself has never had that kind of patience - what do you like about it?

I was just a sub so no teaching was really required. It was mostly babysitting and not allow them to kill one another  😉  I have tons of patience and that's another thing that the students were in awe about me...I can put up with a lot of garbage and still be sweet and smile. The freshmen boys were the most difficult every year but once they started growing up, they saw the benefit of having me as their sub and mouthed off to the new freshmen coming in to behave because they wanted me around. I had loyal students LOL

14 hours ago, Lämmchen said:

I was just a sub so no teaching was really required. It was mostly babysitting and not allow them to kill one another  😉  I have tons of patience and that's another thing that the students were in awe about me...I can put up with a lot of garbage and still be sweet and smile. The freshmen boys were the most difficult every year but once they started growing up, they saw the benefit of having me as their sub and mouthed off to the new freshmen coming in to behave because they wanted me around. I had loyal students LOL

That's good to hear. To be honest, I do have the ability to calm down both people and animals. There was a time when I used to work as a customs officer that they were transporting a lynx to the US from another country but made a stop in our country to change vessels. Somehow the little bugger got loose (which is pretty bad) and to make matters worse it was cruise ship day so lots of tourist (a recipe for disaster). While I'm coming off lunch, they found the Lynx and was trying to catch it. All I remember was me leaning against the wall and something scampered right behind my foot and hugging onto it. I wasn't even surprised it was him - I had to tell the others to get the people out off the way and I had to talk to it calmly. He trusted me enough to let go of my pants (his claws were pretty sharp mind you) and I slowly started walking in the direction of his cage. The poor thing hide behind me the entire time until he got to his cage and he got right back in there. Not going to lie, that was one of my more memorable moments as a customs officer.

I've done a few things like that. Mostly with dogs, but one time was deadlier than any other than I've experienced. There's a zoo in Belize that you can have what they call a "Jaguar Encounter" with an enormous black jaguar (I didn't know there were black ones). What it is, is you go into a jaguar's enclosure and into a small locked cage that is just big enough for 3 people. The jaguar in question will come up and climb on the cage, sniff everyone, lick your fingers, basically act like a house cat. The zoo keeper brings treats that you can give him while you're in there as well. Well we were leaving, and I guess the jaguar thought I had some more treats for him. I had to talk him down, because any sudden movements with an animal that big would only entice it to attack. My girl and the zookeeper were behind me so they couldn't do anything. I moved slowly, talked to him softly as he approached. He came up about 10' away from me, let out a low growl and eyed me for a few seconds (felt like hours) then turned around and walked away. We moved slowly but quickly and got the hell out of there. It turned out that I smelled like meat because I had been giving him more than the others from within the small cage. So he thought I had more on me. Needless to say I almost pissed myself, and thought I was going to have a heart attack.

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's good to hear. To be honest, I do have the ability to calm down both people and animals. There was a time when I used to work as a customs officer that they were transporting a lynx to the US from another country but made a stop in our country to change vessels. Somehow the little bugger got loose (which is pretty bad) and to make matters worse it was cruise ship day so lots of tourist (a recipe for disaster). While I'm coming off lunch, they found the Lynx and was trying to catch it. All I remember was me leaning against the wall and something scampered right behind my foot and hugging onto it. I wasn't even surprised it was him - I had to tell the others to get the people out off the way and I had to talk to it calmly. He trusted me enough to let go of my pants (his claws were pretty sharp mind you) and I slowly started walking in the direction of his cage. The poor thing hide behind me the entire time until he got to his cage and he got right back in there. Not going to lie, that was one of my more memorable moments as a customs officer.

That's so cool!! Aren't they shy animals anyway? You're like the Lynx Whisperer then? Did you deal with a lot of animals as a claims officer?

2 hours ago, AndreiMirfi said:

I can make people feel good, but annoy them at the same time.

That sounds like a double skill to me! Or double trouble? Is it mostly friends or family that you can do that to because if it were me it'd probably be family LOL