Register Now
IanH

NINTENDO SWITCH OLED. opinions?

Gutted myself after 4 years, appreciate current model still incredible sales BUT.. these minor specs is only ‘upgrade’/ new model. Thought we were always looking forward technically.

Once again, I'm reminding the OP (in this case @IanH) that sources are very important in a gaming news topic. It's OK, but try to remeber that in future. Here's the official announcement video.

Overall I'm quite disappointed. The OLED screen is nice, it will offer much more contrast and more vibrant visuals overall with it also bigger now a 7in instead of 6.2in, but I don't think I'm being entitled by expecting more. None of the rumoured hardware upgrades at all. No wait, they have upgraded the internal storage from 32GB to 64GB. Yeah, pointless as one will still have to add a big SD card in there to hold much of anything. It now has an Ethernet port in dock which is less of a feature on the Switch OLED and more of oversight on the original. You know it's bad when the best news is an upgraded kickstand, that did need to be better so kudos. Still this is not a great announcement for me.

I wasn't expecting 4K gameplay on the go, that would have been ridiculous and pointless, but a bit more power to allow the switch to enhance performance, help keep the console compatible with new games for longer and perhaps 4K media playback in docked mode was the minimum I think people were hoping for.

Edited by Shagger

I got a newsletter from Nintendo announcing it, and I have to say I was searching for anything that was an actual upgrade or update that would make thins one stand out. As @Shagger the differences are minimal. As such, there's not really anything that would be a "noticeable" upgrade. Less than an inch of difference in screen size, a small jump in memory size, and a kickstand. That's it. I have a 512g card in my Lite at the moment. If it wasn't for that, I would have maybe a tenth of the games on it that I currently have, as a lot of games take a hell of a lot of space.

Sadly, I don't see this being any kind of hot item except among the people that are the type who have to have the newest thing all the time, and always follow trends. Safe to say, I was really disappointed with this one.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:11 PM, Shagger said:

Once again, I'm reminding the OP (in this case @IanH) that sources are very important in a gaming news topic. It's OK, but try to remeber that in future. Here's the official announcement video.

Overall I'm quite disappointed. The OLED screen is nice, it will offer much more contrast and more vibrant visuals overall with it also bigger now a 7in instead of 6.2in, but I don't think I'm being entitled by expecting more. None of the rumoured hardware upgrades at all. No wait, they have upgraded the internal storage from 32GB to 64GB. Yeah, pointless as one will still have to add a big SD card in there to hold much of anything. It now has an Ethernet port in dock which is less of a feature on the Switch OLED and more of oversight on the original. You know it's bad when the best news is an upgraded kickstand, that did need to be better so kudos. Still this is not a great announcement for me.

I wasn't expecting 4K gameplay on the go, that would have been ridiculous and pointless, but a bit more power to allow the switch to enhance performance, help keep the console compatible with new games for longer and perhaps 4K media playback in docked mode was the minimum I think people were hoping for.

Well they are milking it as much as they can. The storage update should've been done better, if phones can have 200+ gb then the switch should too, but it might be the cooling that's the problem with getting a bigger storage, dunno not an expert.

The look is underwhelming, from the video, but well it's just like a mini update, not worth the buy.

Honestly I dont mind that they bought in new hardware for the switch but I wish they didn't do it right now, I feel like after this release there might be new update more catered around the new model which is nice but it will end up neglecting the original switch we know and love, I personally hoped they brought in new software updates with thing people have wanted for a while would have been a better idea, especially to fix some problems with Bluetooth connectivity or just some change in aesthetics or customisation options or just more support for Nintendo switch online(as in save data for games like splatoon) or etc.

Plz nintendo if u do read this (which I doubt) can u also think about software as well as hardware. If u guys did have to update the hardware I wish u guys had put out a way to minimise joy con drift.

If they would add Bluetooth capability, I would jump at the new Switch. But until they do that, I'm sticking with my Lite. Trying to find earbuds with a cord is almost impossible around here, and I can't afford to buy new ones. The only ones I could afford are pure junk and quit working after a couple uses. The same goes for headphones. So it's no sound for me.

An interesting theory has been put out there to explain why this new Switch is lacking the the graphics power and overall computing power upgrades that people were expecting that makes tom much sense to ignore. It all ties to the pandemic and the same resulting part shortage that has affected PlayStation, Xbox and PC component manufactures. This vid ReviewTechUSA, a great gaming and tech related news YouTube channel I'd highly recommend, goes into more detail.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:50 AM, Shagger said:

An interesting theory has been put out there to explain why this new Switch is lacking the the graphics power and overall computing power upgrades that people were expecting that makes tom much sense to ignore. It all ties to the pandemic and the same resulting part shortage that has affected PlayStation, Xbox and PC component manufactures. This vid ReviewTechUSA, a great gaming and tech related news YouTube channel I'd highly recommend, goes into more detail.

To be fair, the chip shortage is what really caused them to rethink their approach but in 2021, how can it not have Bluetooth? Also, it doesn't warrant the $50 bump at all. It's the original Switch with an O-Led screen - is Nintendo trying to tell us that the screen is worth $50 more?

On 7/25/2021 at 3:01 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I think Nintendo should have forgot about doing this all together. At best, it is a Nintendo Switch XL and doesn't fix many ongoing issues of the current Switch, Drift anyone?

It's not any bigger either - the most notable change is the OLed panel. Is it really worth the extra $50 though?

To be honest I am going to put my money on the steam deck. The reason is I want this to be successful. We are already spammed a lot with nintendo and sony making thier exclusive products and forcing us to bow down to them. We need more players in the market. 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:34 PM, killamch89 said:

It's not any bigger either - the most notable change is the OLed panel. Is it really worth the extra $50 though?

Nope, I hope no one thinks they need to sell their current one for this one. Though somewhat nice for new Switch buyers at this point. 

16 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Nope, I hope no one thinks they need to sell their current one for this one. Though somewhat nice for new Switch buyers at this point. 

I'm planning to buy a Switch and I'm NOT getting the O-Led model for an extra $50 - it's just not worth it.