Register Now
ZandraJoi

What are some good video games for kids?

Ones that aren't too serious with a lot of violence. Preferably ones that have an educational undertone but where the kids don't realize they are actually learning something while having fun. While I don't have kids, I know this topic has come up before in my family & I was always at a loss as to what to say. What do you suggest?

Disneyland Adventure is a good one, but what age group we are talking about here? 

Minecraft and the Lego Star Wars games are another cool games for them to get into, Disney Rush, Best part of this game is that you have a computer character that walks\runs\jumps\accompanies your child's player in game speaking hints and giving them someone to follow when they need a hand.

Minecraft and Animal Crossing are the ones I hear from parents I know. The Super Mario games are coming back too so parents who were into that get to play with their kids on new versions! That's always fun to share memories of your past with your kids while they get to have those fun experiences too.

Anything with Mario in it. Mario Kart racing for the Nintendo Switch, super mario odyssey, crash team racing, pokemon Lets go Pikachu, Pokemon Sword and Shield. Just examples. There are numerous games for kids but most of it is on the Nintendo Switch.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:42 AM, TopSilver said:

Anything with Mario in it. Mario Kart racing for the Nintendo Switch, super mario odyssey, crash team racing, pokemon Lets go Pikachu, Pokemon Sword and Shield. Just examples. There are numerous games for kids but most of it is on the Nintendo Switch.

In my childhood, I too played super Mario a lot. Actually that was my favourite game at that time. I also played games like Ninja turtles, Contra etc. These are the best games for kids.

Kids can also play some educational games which can increase their memory power like criss-cross words.

Virtually anything that was released on NES and SNES would be kid appropriate. Remember I said VIRTUALLY. There are games that wouldn't be appropriate for kids on both systems, but the majority would be fine for kids to play. They may be beyond a kids abilities (more in a moment) but there isn't anything I can think of off the top of my head that I would straight up say a kid shouldn't play.

As for what I'm referring to that I said "more in a moment" there is a NES game that I have been trying to beat for more than 30 years. Legacy Of The Wizard has been kicking my ass this whole time. For those who don't know, you have to find 4 crowns to awaken a dragon so that you can kill it. I have found one crown. I refuse to use any kind of walkthrough or tips, because those things didn't exist when the game came out and I started playing it. I'm going to beat this son of a bitch honestly, then I'm going to either have the bastard bronzed or put a fucking bullet through it. Haven't decided yet.

It depends on how young are your kids. But anyway, I'd be focused on adventure games in this case. For example, if kids are 6-10 years old, I recommend trying Spy Fox and Pajama Sam. For older kids, I'd pick Syberia or The Night of the Rabbit. Btw, these two ones aren't easy, so you can try to play with your kids together to solve difficult riddles.

Putt Putt is the childhood you never had, so I'd say make sure your kids at least end up having it. Putt Putt Goes To The Zoo and Putt Putt Travels Through Time are some of the best ones with hand drawn animation. Putt Putt Goes To The Moon is great too, and the DOS graphics make it one of the most endearing ones, not to mention Putt Putt's voice in that one. You can tell the voice actor was still very young and the sound quality isn't the best, both of which only add to the charm. I would say it's nostalgia, but I'm immune, so have fun, and not just as a kid. As I said: childhood you never had. Doesn't mean you can't still have it.

It's an older series, hence the DOS statement, but the entire collection can be found pre-emulated on Steam. Not for free, but I'd say take a look. Freddy Fish is great too. And Pyjama Sam There's No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside is an absolute classic.

Some of them are even mildly educational, although not all that much, and more so depending on whether your kids enjoy the aspects that are. They mostly teach kids how to be polite - and math, if they choose to take a few math lessons from a starfish in one of my fave Freddy Fish games. Nowadays I can even do the advanced ones with relative ease, but then again, I am 27, so obviously I'm the smartest fish in school.

Edited by calm-gamer