Register Now
Family sedan

Heavy Metal in video games.

Probably anything from the Doom (2019) soundtrack. I don't particularly like music that heavy, so that's why I only suffered that game by listening to the soundtrack of the 1993 game. That said I did like the soundtrack from Nightmare Creatures on Playstation 1, that's about as heavy as I like video game metal.

The first time I heard heavy metal in a video game was with Carmageddon, which used instrumentals from Fear Factory's Demanufacture album.  Back then I didn't even really know what heavy metal was but I loved it!

But I think the king of heavy soundtracks has to go to Brütal Legend.  The whole game from visual design, lore, story and even self-deprecating humour all revolve around heavy metal culture.  Then there's the soundtrack which of course fucking rocks!  There's over 100 tracks The likes of Testament, Black Sabbath, Iced Earth, Motörhead, Mötley Crüe, Tvangeste, Dark Tranquillity, Megadeath, In Flames, Manowar, Dimmu Borgir, Judas Priest.....  It goes on forever!

I believe Heavy Metal and video game soundtracks are happy bedfellows so often for a reason. These things are sperate, but both are heavily woven into geek culture along with other things that don't really exist for the popular kids like Pro-Wrestling, Comics, Fantasy Novels, table top games and so on. It's not that these things are inherently uncool or unpopular, but there is a certain amount of obscurity and exclusivity to them that appeals to people outside the click. As a fam of both, I'm more than happy that this is the case.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:39 AM, Crazycrab said:

The first time I heard heavy metal in a video game was with Carmageddon, which used instrumentals from Fear Factory's Demanufacture album.  Back then I didn't even really know what heavy metal was but I loved it!

But I think the king of heavy soundtracks has to go to Brütal Legend.  The whole game from visual design, lore, story and even self-deprecating humour all revolve around heavy metal culture.  Then there's the soundtrack which of course fucking rocks!  There's over 100 tracks The likes of Testament, Black Sabbath, Iced Earth, Motörhead, Mötley Crüe, Tvangeste, Dark Tranquillity, Megadeath, In Flames, Manowar, Dimmu Borgir, Judas Priest.....  It goes on forever!

As soon as someone mentioned Heavy metal in video games I thought of Brutal Legend, but then again Twisted Metal has some brutal tracks as well.

2 hours ago, Shole said:

As soon as someone mentioned Heavy metal in video games I thought of Brutal Legend, but then again Twisted Metal has some brutal tracks as well.

Actually, it was Twisted Metal for me because I really enjoyed it in as much as it was very deafening to my house mates. It was quite a piece back then. 

1 hour ago, Family sedan said:

And now I can ask the question, what was the heaviest song ever in a Twisted Metal game?

You can listen to it mate, that's my favorite among them. I hope you enjoy it. 

On 7/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, Family sedan said:

Yeah, that probably is one of the heavier tracks in a Twisted level.

Yes, it definitely the heaviest I have heard so far as long as heavy metal is linked to games.