Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

China is using facial recognition to limit the time allowed for people playing games under 18 yrs old

On 7/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, Lämmchen said:

I would think this should be something that the parents choose for their families and not something that any government should impose. Yes, children's brains and health are at risk if they are constantly are glued to a video game. But parents should be the ones who step in and set boundaries.

It always ends poorly when the government has to do the parenting. Governments will tend to use these kids as test subjects for their unscrupulous experiments under the guise of "helping" the kids when in reality, they're using the kids as a case study and will incorporate a more widespread version down the line.

I think if govt starts to decide what is good for people then things become china like and end up badly so that people dont want to be in it. I think sometimes some rules set by the govt itself on online platforms for access should solve the problem instead like 1 gaming ID connected to gaming server for more than 2 hours, get it disconnected for next 4 hours type of restrictions. 

On 7/21/2021 at 4:39 AM, skyfire said:

I think if govt starts to decide what is good for people then things become china like and end up badly so that people dont want to be in it. I think sometimes some rules set by the govt itself on online platforms for access should solve the problem instead like 1 gaming ID connected to gaming server for more than 2 hours, get it disconnected for next 4 hours type of restrictions. 

Government is never "for the people" - it's usually for enslaving their people and brainwashing them to stay that way and the government will do anything to maintain that power. Notice how governments never have an issue turning the lethal weapons on their citizens the minute there is even the slightest resistance from their citizens. 

On 7/25/2021 at 2:56 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Not surprised by this, China has set up camps even to get their kids away from gaming. Though not sure how this versus a set timer would work better.

Facial Recognition technology especially in this circumstance was never needed. All they had to do was have the parents use some sort of timer to manage their children's gaming sessions. 

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Facial Recognition technology especially in this circumstance was never needed. All they had to do was have the parents use some sort of timer to manage their children's gaming sessions. 

That's what I'm saying, there are better ways to manage this. How it is even setup is kind of concerning. 

19 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

That's what I'm saying, there are better ways to manage this. How it is even setup is kind of concerning. 

All Governments are concerned with is total control and how they can maintain that control over their citizens. The Chinese government taking these kinds of extreme steps shouldn't surprise anyone.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:54 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Talk about government overreach. China is dictating how much time people play video games as their reasoning is to prevent kids from becoming addicted to gaming. They are using the facial recognition from a data base of facial profiles to recognize if someone is under 18 and between the times of 10pm to 8am they will be blocked from gaming; and a maximum of 90 minutes a day during the week. They also limited the number of monthly microtransactions that is allowed. I personally think that is pretty extreme. And I'm sure there will be mistakes made from the facial recognition that will boot off an adult from gaming. That would piss anyone off. Do you think that is an overreach or is it justified to prevent addiction? And what do they even care if someone plays a lot of games? Are they having a mass addiction in gaming problem? Or is there something else behind it. Do they have facial recognition to block them from watching tv or surfing internet? Pretty extreme. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/tencent-facial-recognition-tech-stop-minors-playing-night-midnight-patrol-2021-7

Seriously, sometimes China 🇨🇳 do take some things overboard with the way they execute their policies. Seriously, they are actually invading people's privacy by doing that. 

On 10/7/2021 at 4:41 AM, killamch89 said:

So here's an update on the whole issue:

Honestly, it's probably exactly because of the positive influence games might have that the Chinese government will restrict access to them as much as possible. That entire system is going the way of North Korea, just with better publicity and with a global marketplace that will never cut them loose. could you imagine being basically a pawn in your governments game bring told how to live, your conversations being monitored, you're life being dictated to you, fuck them, and fuck that, good thing I watch me by movies or play game games so I can't day I've supported this way of 'life'

On 10/6/2021 at 10:41 PM, killamch89 said:

Nothing like your government banning effeminate males because they think exposing it to young males makes them not able to protect the country. I would expect they do the same for movies? Seeing something effeminate doesn't drop a person's testosterone levels. lol

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

Yes, they could've also done it in movies because its simply same curiosity which it satisfies. I don't get the reason for the restriction around effeminate males via video games in China when movies are still open, its pathetic though. 

I think the addiction to gaming is the issue here - For the record, I don't support their methods at all and wouldn't implement it even as a last resort. Having said that, there's an addiction to gaming which is affecting a good portion of their youth and it impacting their contribution to society (Well documented by the way). Movies don't impact them as much so of course the government wasn't going to focus on that.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:41 AM, killamch89 said:

China 🇨🇳 can be really annoying with some of the policies they make. I'm not surprised at this at all, when they already banned cryptocurrencies in their country. 

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I think the addiction to gaming is the issue here - For the record, I don't support their methods at all and wouldn't implement it even as a last resort. Having said that, there's an addiction to gaming which is affecting a good portion of their youth and it impacting their contribution to society (Well documented by the way). Movies don't impact them as much so of course the government wasn't going to focus on that.

I got the message you pointed out here. The impact of movies in the lives of the children wouldn't be comparable to the effect of gaming in their lives. You can easily get away with movie addiction after some days but gaming is endless, if you play together you'll still come over to play again, and the addition continues.