Register Now
StaceyPowers

What games have the most confusing tutorials/non-tutorials?

I like when games use their narrative to give me a tutorial. Like my character is going through the basics with a new guy or vice-versa. But at the same time, it's nice when a character asks "Do you have time to practice?" And I can answer "Sure, I have some time to kill [Begin Tutorial]" or "Can't. I'm busy [Skip Tutorial]". It always benefits replayability by making the thing that teaches you the basics skipable.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, Empire said:

I like when games use their narrative to give me a tutorial. Like my character is going through the basics with a new guy or vice-versa. But at the same time, it's nice when a character asks "Do you have time to practice?" And I can answer "Sure, I have some time to kill [Begin Tutorial]" or "Can't. I'm busy [Skip Tutorial]". It always benefits replayability by making the thing that teaches you the basics skipable.

This is the best way to get a game set up in my opinion because it leaves all the options open for the gamer to decide. 

On 7/9/2021 at 3:09 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Which games have the most confusing or unhelpful tutorials when starting out? Or lack tutorials altogether?

I hardly remember I have gone through any tutorial. Most of the games already have similar controls. When I play in PC, the controls are already pre set, and I just go through the keys for one time.

While in case of PS4, it's even more easy. The controls I use through joysticks and shoulder buttons.

I would say Skyrim. I couldn't figure jack shit out when I was escaping the dragon in the beginning, and it has taken me forever to figure out what room the jarl was in at the beginning. Now I simply don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm supposed to be going from there. I'm completely lost, and there was nothing letting me know what the hell I was supposed to be doing, and no guidance once I'm playing.

There is a part on Cuphead, where it shows you what keys you need to use, but just don't manage to pass at first.

I knew that this is a hard game, but come on, Andrei can't even do the tutorial?

I had a massive experience with it mixed on fun, but also a little bit rage... and I don't usually do that.

I'd have to think really hard about this but most games have pretty easy tutorials and they give you a practical situation/example of how to use the basic abilities. Now that I think about it, Dark Souls is the only game I can remember in recent history that only explains the very basic controls but almost everything else you have to figure out on your own.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:11 PM, Razor1911 said:

I hardly remember I have gone through any tutorial. Most of the games already have similar controls. When I play in PC, the controls are already pre set, and I just go through the keys for one time.

While in case of PS4, it's even more easy. The controls I use through joysticks and shoulder buttons.

Most hardcore gamers don't really take notice of game tutorials as they see it as a total waste of time, so they jump into the game immediately. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Most hardcore gamers don't really take notice of game tutorials as they see it as a total waste of time, so they jump into the game immediately. 

Since I play most of the action games, the controls are more or less the same. Tutorials are good only for the beginners, but for me, my hands are already set to a control layout, which I prefer for every game.

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

Not going to lie - that's me most times. Screw the tutorials, I just want to get into the action!

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Not going to lie - that's me most times. Screw the tutorials, I just want to get into the action!

Haha, well I'm not going to say I'm surprised because my kid brother who's just 15 years old is exactly the same way. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Haha, well I'm not going to say I'm surprised because my kid brother who's just 15 years old is exactly the same way. 

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It is actually very boring to go through those lengthy tutorials. I mean, if I am playing action games, my fingers are already set to a specific layout. So, I normally change the controls to match mine. 

Other than this, I prefer to skip the tutorials anyway, but some games have no option to skip the tutorials and it annoys me the most. I remember playing COD Black ops, and that had similar annoying tutorials.

3 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

It is actually very boring to go through those lengthy tutorials. I mean, if I am playing action games, my fingers are already set to a specific layout. So, I normally change the controls to match mine. 

Other than this, I prefer to skip the tutorials anyway, but some games have no option to skip the tutorials and it annoys me the most. I remember playing COD Black ops, and that had similar annoying tutorials.

For a fact, longer tutorials are always boring. Personally, if the tutorial comes in bit by bit in the game as you progress, then it's okay for me.