Register Now
StaceyPowers

Gaming and self-esteem

Welll I don't really know.  I've been playing video games since I was 5 years old, and I've been obsessed ever since.  I'm the exact opposite of competitive, I play for my own enjoyment.  But playing games always makes me feel good, and I know that, to me, video games are an extremely important part of my life.  There's really not anything else I'd want to do more.  So, yeah, I would say playing games and thinking about all the games I have played (and games I'm looking forward to playing in the future) makes me feel very good about myself.

I think certain themes in a game can boost a certain individual's esteem. Kids for example love superheroes and playing a game they love would probably make them enact that character in real life making them feel brave and righteous. A psychological game with a good outcome from some kind of abuse can boost that person's esteem that had similar issues. Simulation games can help break away fear barriers like heights, if they played a flight simulator or something. And even games with a strong character having a controversial sexual orientation can help boost the esteem of others. Personally, I can't think of a way gaming has boosted my esteem. I think VR can really help some people with esteem problems by having a public speech game. Cause who wants to speak in front a bunch of people?

Personally, games don't affect my self-esteem at all. It's a hobby that I love and I play it for enjoyment.  I do feel a bit of pride when I have overcome a difficult test in a video game but I don't go overboard because in the real world, it still won't change much.

Well, it depends on what game I'm playing and what it's going to affect in my personality. Take for instance, football game influences my knowledge on anything football and directly impacts on my attitude on it as well. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Well, it depends on what game I'm playing and what it's going to affect in my personality. Take for instance, football game influences my knowledge on anything football and directly impacts on my attitude on it as well. 

Are you talking soccer, or American football? We have enough members here that are talking about soccer when they say football, that I get confused. True, the vast majority of the world calls the sport football, not soccer. Actually, now that I think about it, I think Americans are the only ones that call it soccer.

On 7/9/2021 at 4:09 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I was enjoying @Steerminator's thread here, which made me draw a link to gaming frustration and self-esteem issues.

It made me curious how gaming and self-esteem relate for everyone here. Does gaming improve your self-esteem? Decrease it? Neither? Both in different contexts?

It happens with me when I play in Multiplayer mode. When opponents starts bullying for getting defeated, it makes me angry, and I play even harder to regain my self confidence. 😊

On 7/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, The Blackangel said:

Are you talking soccer, or American football? We have enough members here that are talking about soccer when they say football, that I get confused. True, the vast majority of the world calls the sport football, not soccer. Actually, now that I think about it, I think Americans are the only ones that call it soccer.

Not American football but soccer mate. I think that it's a custom for the Americans addressing it as soccer. What do you think? 

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

Not American football but soccer mate. I think that it's a custom for the Americans addressing it as soccer. What do you think? 

Football and soccer more or less are the same. In America people call it soccer, where as in rest of the world we call it football.

I too had the same confusion at the starting. The main reason for confusion was because EA releases the game as football and Konami releases game named Pro evolution Soccer. 😅

Edited by Razor1911

If I'm playing with younger people then gaming most certainly causes my self-esteem to drop since I'm not as good as they are! I prefer to play alone so no one sees how poorly I do at some of the games! If I get a high score on a game that others think is hard then my self-esteem is definitely boosted.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, Razor1911 said:

Football and soccer more or less are the same. In America people call it soccer, where as in rest of the world we call it football.

I too had the same confusion at the starting. The main reason for confusion was because EA releases the game as football and Konami releases game named Pro evolution Soccer. 😅

It's exactly the delima in which both of companies EA SPORTS AND PES put us through but with time, we got used to it. 

3 hours ago, LukeChester said:

I also heard about decreased/increased self-esteem while gaming from my friends and colleagues. I try to be easy about it. It's just a game, eventually, and it shouldn't impact my real life.

I totally agree mate - or else we'll just be like those people who rage over games and destroy their electronics.