Register Now
StaceyPowers

What opinion about video games do you have that no one can change?

I'm a firm believer that video games can be used to train people to do many things in life such as their careers. Doctors can use games to help them learn how to do surgeries, pilots learn how to fly by first flying planes in games, and there's more than that. I know there are people who think games are a waste of time but even now they're saying that some games can help strengthen brain function as we age.

Emulators should not exist. Games should stay where they were made. NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, etc. All of them should stay there. If you want to play a game from any of the systems above, or any classic system for that matter, you should have to buy the console in question.

There's no force wielded by man nor God that will convince me (With the exception of puzzle games, kid's/educational games and some forms of strategy and platformer. Multiplayer is also an obvious exception to this as well.) that a game having one difficulty setting is a good thing. People have the right to play games the way they want to, but there's more to it than that.

I can't think of many games with one difficulty that were too easy, at least not recently, but the flaw with them is obvious. With the exception of interactive narratives like Life is Strange or a Tell-tale game, a game with no challenge has no reason to exist. If there's no challenge, there's no tension and the gameplay is almost completely pointless and will inevitably get boring very quickly.

Games that are made to be hard with no alternant difficulty settings are no better. Take Demon's Souls, a game veteran members may know I despise. I despise it not because it's hard, but because it's cheep, but that's another rant and not the important part here. A side effect of the obsession with difficulty lead to an RPG with a dull colour palate, uninspired design, little story that was impossible to get immersed in anyway because one spent so much time repeating the gameplay. The gameplay itself was tedious and with controls that deliberately crippled the player and the game, in it's infinite arrogance, wouldn't even let you pause, all to support a completely pointless online mechanic. The game became comprised in other aspects because of how From Software obsessed with just making a game as difficult as they could and the fans let them get away with it because they did just that.

The game's fans can't admit any flaws in the game or it's sister franchises in Dark Souls and Bloodborne because the game met the low bar that it set for itself. It's hard. Well done From Software, 10/10 obviously. I've been literally kicked of forums and communities that weren't "Soul's" focused just for criticizing the games. For a fanbase that takes such pride it's virility and how they are gods among gamers they really can't take criticism and far to quickly cry to moderators (I hate moderators :classic_ninja:). Having difficulty settings that are designed for people who wish to explore the game world, design, graphic, music, narrative, basically everything else other than challenge forces game dev's to focus on those elements instead of being distracted by making a game as difficult (or indeed, as easy) as possible.

The question I put forward is, what if From Software has made the game with multiple difficulty options in mind? I believe they would have spread thier focus so other areas of the game that wouldn't have been let down. Better story elements, better design, better controls, better music, better... just better. So I think you see why I believe multiple difficulty options make games better. If Demon's Solus had multiple difficulty options the challenge wouldn't have been lost. All those "Git Gut" pricks would have to do is turn the difficulty up and it would better as the game mechanics wouldn't have have so cheep and cryptic by design.

My least favourite thing it does is the effect it has on people. People can get so arrogant when they master a game that the loose sight of what gaming is meant to be. Few people are better people when they get to that kind of level. They mostly just lord over others and don't offer constructive advice at all. Soul's fans are, by far, the worst. You can't look for advice on a related forum, reddit or social media on these kinds of games without encountering some extreme toxicity and it's the games own obsession with how hard it is that's the route cause. "Git Gut" has even become a traditional meme to dismiss other people seeking advice. I'm not painting every Soul's fan with the same brush here, there are just as many if not more perfectly nice and civilised people out there who play those games, but the assholes are loud and unavoidable, so that community should be avoided.

Edited by Shagger

There's no force in the universe that can convince me that Live Service games aren't absolute trash - just on the premise of it needing to be online all the time already makes it trash. But if doesn't just stop there, the fact that you have to pay for EVERYTHING makes it even worse - if you're not careful, you'll be playing more money to that video game company than you pay to any tax authority over a decade. To top it all off, these games are usually extremely generic and have nothing special about them and even when you pay, you're paying for items that have no use whatsoever.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:52 PM, Shagger said:

People can get so arrogant when they master a game that the loose sight of what gaming is meant to be.

I've definitely encountered that more times than I try to count. I'm willing to bet, however, that every gamer here can honestly say that there is a game they play, or used to play, that they completely mastered to the point that they could beat it in their sleep. I can't see anyone being a braggart, or having a superiority complex about it. I just see them stating a simple fact.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, DylanC said:

Control is a boring, laborious chore to play. 

Honestly, I thought it had some good gameplay concepts but I have to agree that the game is boring and overrated. I've beaten once and have never felt the remote urge to ever play it again.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Honestly, I thought it had some good gameplay concepts but I have to agree that the game is boring and overrated. I've beaten once and have never felt the remote urge to ever play it again.

It boggles my mind how well received it was with gaming press. Ah, well. Ce la vie, I guess. Different strokes for different folks! 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:52 PM, Shagger said:

There's no force wielded by man nor God that will convince me (With the exception of puzzle games, kid's/educational games and some forms of strategy and platformer. Multiplayer is also an obvious exception to this as well.) that a game having one difficulty setting is a good thing. People have the right to play games the way they want to, but there's more to it than that.

I can't think of many games with one difficulty that were too easy, at least no recently, but the flaw with them is obvious. With the expectation of interactive narratives like Life is Strange or a Tell-tale game, a game with no challenge has no reason to exist. If there's no challenge, there's no tension and the gameplay is almost completely pointless and will inevitably get boring very quickly.

Games that are made to be hard with no alternant difficulty settings are no better. Take Daemon Souls, a game veteran members may know I despise. I despise it not because it's hard, but because it's cheep, but that's another rant and not the important part here. A side effect of the obsession with difficulty lead to an RPG with a dull colour palate, uninspired design, little story that was impossible to get immersed in anyway because one spent so much time repeating the gameplay. The gameplay itself was tedious and with controllers that deliberately crippled the player and the game, in it's infinite arrogance, wouldn't even let you pause, all to support a completely pointless online mechanic. The game became comprised in other aspects because of how From Software obsessed with just making a game as difficult as they could and the fans let them get away with it because they did just that.

The games fans can't admit any flaws in the game or it's sister franchises in Dark Souls and Bloodborne the game met the low bar that it set for itself. It's hard. Well done From Software, 10/10 obviously. I've been literally kicked of forms and communities that weren't "Soul's" focused just for criticizing the games. For a fanbase that takes such pride it's virility and how they are gods among gamers they really can't take criticism and far to quickly cry to moderators (I hate moderators :classic_ninja:). Having difficulty settings that are designed for people who wish to explore the game world, design, graphic, music, narrative, basically everything else other than challenge forces games dev's to focus on those elements instead of being distracted by making a game as difficult (or indeed, as easy) as possible.

The question I put forward is, what if From Software has made the game with multiple difficulty options in mind? I believe they would have spread thier focus so other areas of wouldn't have been let down. So I think you see why I believe multiple difficulty options make games better. If Daemon Solus had multiple difficulty options the challenge wouldn't have been lost. All those "Git Gut" pricks would have to do is turn the difficulty up and it would better as the game mechanics wouldn't have have so cheep and cryptic by design.

My least favourite thing it does is the effect it has on people. People can get so arrogant when they master a game that the loose sight of what gaming is meant to be. Few people are better people when they get to that kind of level. They mostly just lord over others and don't offer constructive advice at all. Soul's fans are, by far, the worst. You can't look for advice on a related forum, reddit or social media on these kinds of games without encountering some extreme toxicity and it's the games own obsession with how hard it is that's the route cause. "Git Gut" has even become a traditional meme to dismiss other people seeking advice. I'm not painting every Soul's fan with the same brush here, there are just as many if not more perfectly nice and civilised people out there who play those games, but the assholes are loud and unavoidable, so that community should be avoided.

I tend to agree with what you are trying to say here because we all have different levels or speed of learning or catching up when it comes to gaming. 

Some gamers catch up very easily with difficulty level, while some need to start off easy and then progress. But when you take away that flexibility for them, it makes a mess of the whole thing. 

11 hours ago, DylanC said:

It boggles my mind how well received it was with gaming press. Ah, well. Ce la vie, I guess. Different strokes for different folks! 

Same here - I saw that some media outlets called it "innovative". I was confused because nothing about this game screens innovative in any way shape or form.

4 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't think I'll ever be sold on mobile gaming.  As far as I can tell it's all greedy, microtransaction fueled trash designed by people who simply couldn't care less about storytelling, artistic expression or fun gameplay.

Mobile gaming for the most part is an absolute cesspool. I mean it had a great start in the 2011-2014 period where there were great games with pretty good storytelling and action. But since then, it's just fallen sharply off a cliff and will never recover.

6 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

I don't think I'll ever be sold on mobile gaming.  As far as I can tell it's all greedy, microtransaction fueled trash designed by people who simply couldn't care less about storytelling, artistic expression or fun gameplay.

Seriously, it's always about the money for them and never making up for what gamers pays for. There is a gaming company called Nordeus, they are worst I have ever seen.