Register Now
m76

Do you consider exploiting loopholes in games cheating?

What is your stance on exploits?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is using exploits cheating?

• Always
    • Only if they provide a significant unintended advantage
    • Only if abused
    • No, if its in the game its fair play!
  2. 2. Do you use exploits?

• All the time
    • Occasionally
    • Only as a last resort
    • Never, how dare you!

This is an interesting topic, as there are as many exploits as games.

An exploit can be very extreme or as mild as going back to the same vendor every day when their stock is replenished to buy more of something.

Waiting for a stash to respawn, is also an exploit as it would not be possible in real life.

or even using flaws of the AI against them? For example running outside their patrol area after each attack.

I draw the line at AI exploits, I'll use their stupidity if necessary in difficult situations, but only as a last resort. I'd never however use inventory exploits or money exploits in games, that multiply items or gain cash by reselling the same item over and over again.

Exploits by their very definition are aimed towards a weakness, almost always unethical or immoral. Gaming exploits (cheating) are players taking advantage of a glitch in a programmer's coding that leads to a result the developer never intended. Then again exploiting is pretty much discovering a way to do something in the game mechanics that wasn't implemented intentionally, like a bug. On the other hand, cheating is bypassing game mechanics to create disadvantage/unfair gameplay.

BUt even so, looking at way to break and cheat is like wasting money on a game story and not even doing the story right. 

On 7/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, Crazycrab said:

If it's a competitive PVP game then yes, I would consider it cheating.  Otherwise have at it!  It's not the gamer's fault that the developers failed to spot an exploit during testing.

I totally agree with your sentiment - when it comes to PVP, exploits are definitely a no-no for me. I always play fair and square as I want no complaints when I defeat someone.

I said it's always cheating, but the more important question is if it matters or not. That's up to the individual and others it affects. In an online PvE game say, I don't care if my cheesing ruins the developers' vision for a boss fight. It does bother me though if it ruins other players' enjoyment of the fight. Many examples of this can be found in World of Warcraft, where players in dungeons think they're saving time by using environmental exploits, but when someone who can't do it (oftentimes me) pulls a load of mobs, it just wastes everyone's time and resources.

Edited by Withywarlock

If it's are specifically programmed into the game, then no it's not cheating. For example the Konami code was widely used. And if you look at RDR2, in the menu screen it specifically has a section for you to install cheats. I have the majority of them ready to go. The only downside is that you can't save while you have a cheat active.

So in that instance, there is nothing wrong with a cheat.

If instead you're talking about something like using a Game Genie, that's all up to interpretation as it scrambles the code of the games programming. I use a game genie on several NES games to make them harder, simply because I have played them so much that I've gotten to be too good at them. Is that unethical or cheating? If you're using one to make yourself invincible or something, then yes, you're definitely cheating. If the only reason you're playing is to eat up time (often in my case) then cheating really makes no difference.

Only as a last resort. I think that would be something really bad otherwise. Because developer needs to manage the small bugs and some things always slip up. And some of the time cheats are meant for testing only. 

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

Only as a last resort. I think that would be something really bad otherwise. Because developer needs to manage the small bugs and some things always slip up. And some of the time cheats are meant for testing only. 

In contrary, I like to exploit such tricks. Specially, when I play online MMO games like PUBG or Counter strike, I sometimes use cheats. I know it's not appreciable, but I only use for fun. 😂

using bugs and claiming that being a fine thing since they are a part of the game is a wrong thing, because devs never put them there on purpose, if you think that's fine, then using cheat codes isn't cheating too because they are a part of the game too 😛

2 hours ago, Patrik said:

using bugs and claiming that being a fine thing since they are a part of the game is a wrong thing, because devs never put them there on purpose, if you think that's fine, then using cheat codes isn't cheating too because they are a part of the game too 😛

Why not to try out those loopholes? I know it's not ethical, but it's fun. Come on! Specially, in MMO Games, it gives you the upper hand.

Obviously, using cheats and using such loopholes are completely different. You are just exploiting some errors that those devs have left unsolved.

20 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

In contrary, I like to exploit such tricks. Specially, when I play online MMO games like PUBG or Counter strike, I sometimes use cheats. I know it's not appreciable, but I only use for fun. 😂

Haha, if you find it useful in a situation where you have given your all but still can't get through, then it's understandable but when you make a habit of it all the time, it's not so cool. 

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

Haha, if you find it useful in a situation where you have given your all but still can't get through, then it's understandable but when you make a habit of it all the time, it's not so cool. 

And even your account can get banned too. There are so many online streaming videos, where the gamer used cheats and their account gets banned in that live stream. Doing it once or twice for fun might also attract such termination, better to play fair game all time. 😁

On 7/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, Razor1911 said:

And even your account can get banned too. There are so many online streaming videos, where the gamer used cheats and their account gets banned in that live stream. Doing it once or twice for fun might also attract such termination, better to play fair game all time. 😁

Exactly, it would be a thing of heartbreak when you have your account banned for playing outside the line too often and get caught. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly, it would be a thing of heartbreak when you have your account banned for playing outside the line too often and get caught. 

I recently played PUBG, with cheats and hacks. I just did it for fun with another account, it is very easy actually to exploit these games. But I tried only once, it's not good to use it every time.