Register Now
killamch89

Former Bioware Boss Casey Hudson Announces New Indie Studio, Feels Like Anti-Bioware & Anti-EA

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Well your admitting yourself that their using the term wrong and it creates a lot of confusion.  Call them small studios or small developers.

But that's exactly my point people started calling them indie and it stuck, it's not my fault the term is used incorrectly, I'm just telling how it is.

If your talking about size or budget you wouldn't put games like Undertale, Fez or Cuphead in the same bracket as Grand Theft Auto 4, Skyrim or Cyberpunk 2077 even though these are ALL indie games.  You also wouldn't put It Takes Two, Child of Light or Journey in the same bracket as Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Valhalla or Horizon Zero Dawn even though these are all NOT indie games.  So why use the term "indie"?

I'm fine with AA and smaller games being called indie regardless of actual publishing status.

I admit that it's a bit irrational but it is a real peeve of mine when use the term "indie" to describe a game and/studio as "small".  The reason for this is that it ties up with unstated assumptions that it's a small studio with only a handful of struggling employees that we should feel sympathetic towards, but this is often not the case.  It's not like developers that are working with a publisher have it any better and in fact, they often have it worse.

I think that is an unreasonable fear, I've never seen anyone describe rockstar  games as an indie dev. And I don't think anybody will confuse ubisoft for a small struggling studio just because technically they are self publishing.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:46 AM, skyfire said:

Indie means lack of developers. Usually indie devs are limited to 1 to 5 developers at the most. They have no publishing company behind them and they are moonshot type of business. 

So basically, it's definitely going to be a very hard project for him to accomplish based on the resources he's got available.