Register Now
killamch89

What hobby do you wish you were good at?

33 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Drawing. I can't even draw a half decent stick figure. I love to try, but everything I come up with looks like something an infant would come up with.

I don't think I have the concentration for drawing anymore, but I remember how much I loved it. Forget about trying to draw from your head. Look at an object and just take your time drawing what it looks like. An egg is always a good place to start because of its shape and lack of any detail. Practice the shapes first. Then work on line quality; that means look at the light source and just make the line darker where there is less light and without taking the pencil off the paper, make your line get lighter and thinner and barely visible as you curve it around the part of egg where the light hits. Once you get line quality down, then practice shading. Eventually you can draw the egg just using the shading technique. I used to always draw outdoor scenes in charcoal. The whole dark and light affect really makes things stand out. But to get the shapes right I would just softly sketch an outline first to get proportions correct. DO NOT try to start drawing people or faces first.  

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Drawing. I can't even draw a half decent stick figure. I love to try, but everything I come up with looks like something an infant would come up with.

Funny enough, in high school I used to be pretty good at it but at some point, I totally lost interest in it. However, I do also want to pick it up again.

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't think I have the concentration for drawing anymore, but I remember how much I loved it. Forget about trying to draw from your head. Look at an object and just take your time drawing what it looks like. An egg is always a good place to start because of its shape and lack of any detail. Practice the shapes first. Then work on line quality; that means look at the light source and just make the line darker where there is less light and without taking the pencil off the paper, make your line get lighter and thinner and barely visible as you curve it around the part of egg where the light hits. Once you get line quality down, then practice shading. Eventually you can draw the egg just using the shading technique. I used to always draw outdoor scenes in charcoal. The whole dark and light affect really makes things stand out. But to get the shapes right I would just softly sketch an outline first to get proportions correct. DO NOT try to start drawing people or faces first.  

I used to draw everyday things as a teen such as trees or a scene and then draw characters from my favorite animes. Nowadays, I just don't have that much impetus to do it - I mean I want to get into digital drawing because it'll help me with designing characters for 3d animation but traditional drawing isn't quite as appealing anymore.