Register Now
ZandraJoi

Do you prefer to download PC Games off the internet or buy the DVD?

I would prefer downloading games off the internet. As time is moving everything is going online and if by any chances server do goes down, the game company take actions on it and sends you a mail saying that the server will be going online in (following hour, or days). I also like play DVD's but only on PS5. Because it is a console and it has it's own joy.

Not for PC gaming but for my consoles, I do prefer to buy physical discs unless there is a great discount for the digital version. The physical disks just have way more benefits like usually being cheaper, and still having the ability to return it/sell it. 

On 7/28/2021 at 3:55 AM, killamch89 said:

I concur - both sides do have their pros and cons but with DVDs I always remember the days of that one scratch on the disc that causes it not to work.

Seriously, it's an annoying feeling when those DVD's scratches in a way loading the game would become an impossible task. 

On 7/15/2021 at 11:06 PM, Shagger said:

Your right. Internet not being available and the possibility of online services for games getting shut down are very real and justifiable concerns when it comes to digital game's distribution. Sadly, the question is kind irrelevant because there has not been a major PC game or port released on physical media for well over a decade. The format is long since died off. It's one the weaknesses of PC gaming in general.

I did a little research on that game you mentioned Skip-Bo Castaway Caper and as far as I can tell the game has trouble running on modern systems because of an incompatibility with 64bit operating systems and hardware. This can, at least in theory, be fixed by running the games using window's compatibility mode. 

Thank you for researching 🙂 How would you go about running on Window's compatibility mode? I always tell people I'm not technically inclined & if I don't know something, I will ask! I'm definitely interested in learning how to do this. Even if it doesn't work for some reason or another for Skip-Bo, I can keep the information for reference.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, Darth said:

Not for PC gaming but for my consoles, I do prefer to buy physical discs unless there is a great discount for the digital version. The physical disks just have way more benefits like usually being cheaper, and still having the ability to return it/sell it. 

Yeah, the discount that comes with digital copies is something that might push me into getting it as well but the challenges of having a scratched disc is not cool. 

42 minutes ago, ZandraJoi said:

Thank you for researching 🙂 How would you go about running on Window's compatibility mode? I always tell people I'm not technically inclined & if I don't know something, I will ask! I'm definitely interested in learning how to do this. Even if it doesn't work for some reason or another for Skip-Bo, I can keep the information for reference.

I'll make a post detailing how to run compatibility mode, but it'll have to wait until I get home in a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I'll make a post detailing how to run compatibility mode, but it'll have to wait until I get home in a couple of hours.

I'm definitely looking forward to that information because I'm very certain it's going to be very useful to a lot of people. 

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

OK, @ZandraJoi, @Heatman and anyone else who's interested, here is how to run games using Windows 10's Compatibility mode. This does NOT gaurentee that games will work, but it's always worth a try,

compat1.png.5bdea5d2552690ff90c085b3e713fd69.png

compat2.png.17217bbe26d4b12fe33c00a2bcb57748.png

compat3.thumb.png.0edefdd75ad95f21e9a77c0535fb8481.png

Thanks @Shagger

It's quite easy to understand with your arrow ➡ descriptions to each settings to run. I really appreciate this. 

On 8/11/2021 at 4:40 PM, Heatman said:

Yeah, the discount that comes with digital copies is something that might push me into getting it as well but the challenges of having a scratched disc is not cool. 

True but it's not a massive problem for me, to be honest. I'm pretty careful with my discs and I don't think I've ever had problems with scratched gaming discs. I always keep my discs in their case as well so the chance of it getting scratched is pretty slim.

13 hours ago, Darth said:

True but it's not a massive problem for me, to be honest. I'm pretty careful with my discs and I don't think I've ever had problems with scratched gaming discs. I always keep my discs in their case as well so the chance of it getting scratched is pretty slim.

Seriously, a lot of gaming folks are careless with their CD's and I think that excessive play also do damages it or am I wrong? 

On 8/9/2021 at 7:53 AM, Heatman said:

Seriously, it's an annoying feeling when those DVD's scratches in a way loading the game would become an impossible task. 

Back in the old days, we used to try rubbing alcohol on the CD and hoping it'd work 😂

On 8/15/2021 at 2:07 AM, killamch89 said:

Back in the old days, we used to try rubbing alcohol on the CD and hoping it'd work 😂

Haha, it's not only alcohol we used for that too. I personally used water, white powder and Kerosene. It's a funny childhood experience.