Register Now
killamch89

Ubisoft Face Scathing Criticism From Tom Clancy Fans After XDefiant Announcement

Guys guess what Ubisoft came up with today?! If you guess a looter-shooter Super Smash Ripoff featuring Tom Clancy characters from different games named XDefiant, then you'd be correct. As a fan of the Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell series, this infuriates me to no end. To be honest, I had seen the announcement yesterday when I woke up from a nap but I thought I was having a nightmare of some sort. Ubisoft wtf is this?!

As I've said elsewhere they are so disconnected from fans that it's not even funny any more. They have been teasing splinter cell fans with the tie-ins in ghost recon everyone expecting it to  be a lead up to an actual splinter cell game, and then they unironically announce this.

It might be because I have zero interest games of this type but I don't really see what all the fuss is about.  A FTP hero shooter spin off in the Tom Clancy series.  It's uninspired, generic and just following a trend which is already kinda dying out but is it really merit this much negative press?  It seems like something that can be quite easily ignored and I'm sure most of us ultimately will.

5 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

It might be because I have zero interest games of this type but I don't really see what all the fuss is about.  A FTP hero shooter spin off in the Tom Clancy series.  It's uninspired, generic and just following a trend which is already kinda dying out but is it really merit this much negative press?  It seems like something that can be quite easily ignored and I'm sure most of us ultimately will.

They have been teasing fans with splinter cell for years and then pre-announced a big revelation in the tom clancy franchise, only to reveal this garbage probably 3 years after it could be relevant. Yeah they were setting themselves up for failure.

It's a do you not have phones calibre blunder.

Edited by m76

4 hours ago, m76 said:

As I've said elsewhere they are so disconnected from fans that it's not even funny any more. They have been teasing splinter cell fans with the tie-ins in ghost recon everyone expecting it to  be a lead up to an actual splinter cell game, and then they unironically announce this.

Seriously, it's all about the money for them and never about giving the fans what they have been asking for. It's really a big disappointment. 

Aah, good, another magenta shooter. And a live service, to boot! Two oversaturated trends in one; now that's what I call efficiency, ladies and gentlemen! Man, remember when every shooter was going for gritty, brown realism and they were all about as visually interesting as bowl of cold, plain oatmeal?

Now, they're making games interesting as playing with a single sparkler on the 4th of July: lots of garish, flashy nothing that costs way more in money than it gives in genuine entertainment. Lives just long enough for you to find the next one in the pack.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, no?

1 hour ago, m76 said:

They have been teasing fans with splinter cell for years and then pre-announced a big revelation in the tom clancy franchise, only to reveal this garbage probably 3 years after it could be relevant. Yeah they were setting themselves up for failure.

It's a do you not have phones calibre blunder.

Seriously, they have already failed as far as I'm concerned because I'm not sure if any hardcore fan would ever make a stand in their support. 

I don't have a big personal interest in this franchise, but I can see why fans aren't happy.

The problem isn't the game itself. Truthfully, I think it looks kind of cool. The issue as far as I can tell is that it's a creative design and gameplay concept that hasn't really got anything to do with Tom Clancy as current fans know it. It's like if we get a Fallout game that's not a single player RPG, but a online looter-shooter MMO. No wait, that actually happened, and it didn't go down well. Same story with Metal Gear: Survive, Even if it were any good as the zombie hoard PVE multiplayer game that it was (It wasn't, it couldn't even meet that low bar), it still wouldn't have sat any better with fans as that it not what people want in a Metal Gear game. 

This doesn't mean XDefient is gonna be a bad game, like I said I think it looks quite promising, but a colourful, anarchistic-punk themed online shooter is simply not Tom Clancy. I have no objections to Ubisoft making this game, but they've just slapped the Tom Clancy name it instead of doing what they should have done, that being releasing it as it's own IP. It's obvious why they di that, it's because they think the Tom Clancy name will help it sell. That is a terrible PR and promotional decision for two reasons;

1. It alienates and frustrates current Tom Clancy fans who know what they like about the franchise and offering something that doesn't fit those hopes and expectations will make said fans less likely to buy the game.
  2. By slapping a famous name onto a game that doesn't conform to that specific franchise, what Ubisoft is basically telling potential gamers is "We don't this this game is strong enough to stand and be successful by itself. We're making it, but already don't have an faith in it.". If the people making the game don't believe in in it, what reason does anybody else have to believe in it? 

Like I said, this doesn't mean that this will be a bad game, but when game companies have doe this, especially recently, it has typically not turned out well. So this is a "wait for review" title as the absolute best for me, but that probably still means I'm the VGR member most exited for it :classic_laugh:.

Edited by Shagger

4 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Well, I believe that we all have the right to nag over it at least for now that it's still fresh like a wound but in the end, we are definitely going to move on. 

12 hours ago, m76 said:

To be honest, the warning signs were there. Remember that they had made a grand announcement a month ago talking about going the free-to-play route with their games. However, this was even more disappointing than the worst thing I could envision them doing - this even surpasses almost any crappy game from EA I can remember in recent history.

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

It's more the representation of the characters involved - they claim it's made from several Tom Clancy character but they haven't accurately represented those characters very accurately or the universe itself. I do agree it'll be ignored by the majority. 

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, the warning signs were there. Remember that they had made a grand announcement a month ago talking about going the free-to-play route with their games. However, this was even more disappointing than the worst thing I could envision them doing - this even surpasses almost any crappy game from EA I can remember in recent history.

It's more the representation of the characters involved - they claim it's made from several Tom Clancy character but they haven't accurately represented those characters very accurately or the universe itself. I do agree it'll be ignored by the majority. 

Seriously, it's very annoying getting to know that the company will definitely disappoint with whatever they are promoting and they keep acting like all is normal. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, it's very annoying getting to know that the company will definitely disappoint with whatever they are promoting and they keep acting like all is normal. 

Because you have fanbois who keep rewarding their bad behavior - it's the same with EA and that's why it constantly gets on my nerves whenever I encounter this crap.

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It will be ignored by the majority of splinter cell / tom clancy fans, but the overwatch / pubg / fortnite demographic will probably still play it. Especially if they line the pockets of a few millionaire streamers to play it.

Edited by m76

13 hours ago, m76 said:

It will be ignored by the majority of splinter cell / tom clancy fans, but the overwatch / pubg / fortnite demographic will probably still play it. Especially if they line the pockets of a few millionaire streamers to play it.

They'll be saying it's "the best thing since Fortnite." in their streams and saying it's not because of sponsorship that they play it. It's because the game is very good kind of thing - you know the usual corny line that they always say.