Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather labor under a hot sun or extreme cold?

Cold and damp, for I am from the North of England.

Without the cold, a man cannot appreciate the fire in his hearth. Without the rain, a man cannot appreciate the roof over his head. Let the south have it's sun, flowers and affectations. We Northerners have home. Plus I hate the warm weather, makes me feel sick

Being a January baby, and my body's intolerance to heat much over 70° (21.1° Celsius) I would go with the cold. I go out without a coat when it's 15° (-9.4 Celsius) and do just fine. Granted I don't do temperatures like they have in Wisconsin or further up north like the Arctic Circle. That's a -20° to -30° (-28.8° to -34.4° Celsius) so that's too cold for me. But if it's on the plus side and under 70°, I'm good.

Also here in Missouri, a lot of people die every summer due to the weather. We typically sit around the 85° to 100° (29.4° to 37.7° Celsius) every day. But that's not the biggest part of the problem. During the summer the humidity is usually over 90%. Combine the temperature and humidity, and it's lethal. It's why outdoor workers tend to get up around 4:00-5:00 to start working. So they can beat as much of the heat and humidity as possible. It's also why so many of the construction crews switch to working night shifts instead of day shifts. It's a lot cooler and less humid at night. Beating the temperature that way makes it a lot less of a potentially deadly situation for outdoor workers.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Being a January baby, and my body's intolerance to heat much over 70° (21.1° Celsius) I would go with the cold. I go out without a coat when it's 15° (-9.4 Celsius) and do just fine. Granted I don't do temperatures like they have in Wisconsin or further up north like the Arctic Circle. That's a -20° to -30° (-28.8° to -34.4° Celsius) so that's too cold for me. But if it's on the plus side and under 70°, I'm good.

Also here in Missouri, a lot of people die every summer due to the weather. We typically sit around the 85° to 100° (29.4° to 37.7° Celsius) every day. But that's not the biggest part of the problem. During the summer the humidity is usually over 90%. Combine the temperature and humidity, and it's lethal. It's why outdoor workers tend to get up around 4:00-5:00 to start working. So they can beat as much of the heat and humidity as possible. It's also why so many of the construction crews switch to working night shifts instead of day shifts. It's a lot cooler and less humid at night. Beating the temperature that way makes it a lot less of a potentially deadly situation for outdoor workers.

Florida is even worse - I remember learning to traverse Fort Lauderdale and when I took the bus after a couple of hours, the sun completely zapped my energy. I literally had to camp out in malls for hours at a time until it was cooler to head back to my brother's place.

I've been to Florida several times, and I have to say that it's a hell of a lot nicer down there than it is here as far as the heat and humidity are. I would be willing to trade our weather for theirs any day. But we'll keep the tornadoes. They can keep the hurricanes.

Just now, The Blackangel said:

I've been to Florida several times, and I have to say that it's a hell of a lot nicer down there than it is here as far as the heat and humidity are. I would be willing to trade our weather for theirs any day. But we'll keep the tornadoes. They can keep the hurricanes.

If you live in a mountainous area, hurricanes aren't going to do that much damage at all and at the very least, you have enough time to prepare for a hurricane. Tornado warnings give you 30 minutes if you're lucky.

No mountains here. And we have advanced tornado warnings. Being in Tornado Alley they take special care to update us first. After that F5 hit Joplin in 2011, the NWS really started busting their ass to get everyone in the area updated better with better warning systems set up. There were even training programs to teach people to get to safety the quickest.

19 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

No mountains here. And we have advanced tornado warnings. Being in Tornado Alley they take special care to update us first. After that F5 hit Joplin in 2011, the NWS really started busting their ass to get everyone in the area updated better with better warning systems set up. There were even training programs to teach people to get to safety the quickest.

Well hurricanes and flat landscape definitely don't do well and there is the added effect that it may have tornadoes after the storm passes.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:01 PM, killamch89 said:

Well hurricanes and flat landscape definitely don't do well and there is the added effect that it may have tornadoes after the storm passes.

At least those of us tat are landlocked avoid the hurricane, so we only have to deal with half that scenario.

Edited by The Blackangel

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

At least those of us tat are landlocked avoid the hurricane, so we only have to deal with half that scenario.

To be fair, hurricanes are only that bad if you live in a wooden house and the soil is unstable. Otherwise, you just need cover the windows with wood and you'll be alright for the most part.

Same here. Most tornadoes are only F1-F2 in power and typically don't even touch the ground. The damage they do is more of twisting trees and throwing minor debris around, like gravel and tree limbs. The tornado that hit Joplin in 2011 was the worst tornado on record to ever hit the United States. At that time at least. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that record has been broken. But I'm not sure about that. And most tornadoes dissipate in less than 10 seconds and don't have time to do any real damage. Experts say to take cover, but around here people say "Get the video camera, and get outside!" Well the ones I know do anyway. Rarely alcohol plays a role in that, but more often than not, there is no intoxicant of any kind involved. Stupidity is that major factor. Although I have been present outside to watch. The damn thing kept blowing my bikini to the side letting my tits out. Luckily either no one noticed, or at least didn't mention it.

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Same here. Most tornadoes are only F1-F2 in power and typically don't even touch the ground. The damage they do is more of twisting trees and throwing minor debris around, like gravel and tree limbs. The tornado that hit Joplin in 2011 was the worst tornado on record to ever hit the United States. At that time at least. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that record has been broken. But I'm not sure about that. And most tornadoes dissipate in less than 10 seconds and don't have time to do any real damage. Experts say to take cover, but around here people say "Get the video camera, and get outside!" Well the ones I know do anyway. Rarely alcohol plays a role in that, but more often than not, there is no intoxicant of any kind involved. Stupidity is that major factor. Although I have been present outside to watch. The damn thing kept blowing my bikini to the side letting my tits out. Luckily either no one noticed, or at least didn't mention it.

To be fair, I've only ever seen one tornado and that was in Colorado - I don't ever remember where we were going but it did touch down somewhere in the distance and started moving  and within 5 minutes it was gone! However, I did see a bunch of "stormchasers"(that's a fancy way of spelling retard if you ask me) heading in its direction and one of them even said "I was hoping something would happen". When I see disasters outside, I always keep myself inside where it's safe because flying debris can do some serious damage.